Honored Contributor

Re: do you buy athletic shoes a size larger?

I pretty much wear a size 10 medium and I buy all my shoes in that size.  I do not size up.

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't buy any shoes larger unless the shoe runs small.  What is the point in wearing shoes that are too big?

They're not too big if your "normal" size is without socks (I very seldom wear them) and your athletic size includes socks (especially cushioned ones). Like I said ... in my case, it all hinges on the socks, and I do go up a size.

Honored Contributor

I haven't bought any true sneakers in years, but when I did I always went up one whole size.  

Honored Contributor

Shoes that are too big, any kind of shoes, will always trip me.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't buy any shoes larger unless the shoe runs small.  What is the point in wearing shoes that are too big?

They're not too big if your "normal" size is without socks (I very seldom wear them) and your athletic size includes socks (especially cushioned ones). Like I said ... in my case, it all hinges on the socks, and I do go up a size.

But I would try them on with whatever socks I was planning to wear.  If they fit correctly, I would not automatically order up.

Generally, I am a thin sock person.  I don't like the feel of bulky socks on my feet.  Even when it's cold, I'm likely to be wearing a trouser sock or a thinnish bootie type sock.

Honored Contributor

No even though I wear a thicker athletic sock I still wear a size 6 in all.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

But I would try them on with whatever socks I was planning to wear.  If they fit correctly, I would not automatically order up.

Generally, I am a thin sock person.  I don't like the feel of bulky socks on my feet.  Even when it's cold, I'm likely to be wearing a trouser sock or a thinnish bootie type sock.

Yes, of course -- I agree with you. It's just that I am familiar enough with my shoe size(s) and running shoes to know that my "regular" shoe size would never fit me with running socks. (I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. Smiley Happy)

Honored Contributor

I buy running shoes for my very active walking exercising. I have always had to go up at least a half size. With my current brand, I have to go up one full size. I, too, wear the Balega Hidden Comfort socks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

With me since I wear a 13 wide and almost all womens' athletic shoes are not made in that size, I have to purchase mens' sneakers and I get the same size, because of my wide feet and they swell as the day goes on. I typically don't wear socks with them, but if I do, it's thin ankle socks, so having the room helps with the extra material.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I buy running shoes for my very active walking exercising. I have always had to go up at least a half size. With my current brand, I have to go up one full size. I, too, wear the Balega Hidden Comfort socks.

I think you were the one who first mentioned balegas to me -- I love them!