Esteemed Contributor

Re: do you buy athletic shoes a size larger?

Usually, I get the same size as my other shoes, although I've found that my Adidas run larger than my Nike shoes. 

Respected Contributor

I always go up half a size, my toes need room.

Esteemed Contributor

No.

To the contrary, I buy shoes that will be worn casually with a sloppy-loose fit, so I can still have some airflow while I'm in them all day.

But I want athletic shoes to fit correctly. I only wear them specifically for weight bearing physical activity, then they're off my feet.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Some people believe you should always get your running shoes at least a half size larger than your regular shoes. do you agree? anybody buy running shoes larger?

I very seldom wear socks with regular shoes, and I usually wear a 6.5. I always wear cushioned socks (balega Hidden Comfort) with running shoes, and I always size up to a 7.5. It all hinges on the socks for me. Must have toe box room or my toenails suffer; as it is, I’m currently missing one after running a marathon last December. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon i also wear balega socks. love them!

Super Contributor

I go to an excellent running shoes store and get fitted.  I buy the shoes that suit me and fit me best.  The size usually ends up being one half to a full size bigger than my everyday shoes.  So, try them on and then go by the feeling and fit.  Size is irrelevant.

Respected Contributor

I have a huge Nike Outlet near me and they have some good running choices.  Since I wear between a 10 & 11 I also look in the Men's section.  I actually like the colors there better.  

I err on the side of roomy in my toes.  A fine line though, you don't want your heel slipping.  I also have arch supports that go in and they need a little more room..

I ignore size and try on until I get the righ fit.  BTW, I really like the bungee-type cords.

Respected Contributor

I usually wear my athletic shoes with heavier socks because I walk a couple of miles daily.  I only go up one half size.  I wear only Brooks because they offer narrow widths and they fit me best.

Esteemed Contributor

@KentuckyWoman i started wearing Brooks, too....Had to find a narrow running shoe since Asics quit making narrows. I am really liking Brooks.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I try to stick with brands I'm familiar with. I wear between sizes 6.5 and 7.0. If I wear thick socks with an athletic shoe, I'll go with 7.0. If I don't wear thick socks, I'll wear my regular size so my heel doesn't slip.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau