Honored Contributor

Re: coronavirus & all the clothes made in china...

@alohakz wrote:

saw on the news how there will be a shortage of wedding dresses this spring/summer since most are made in China...i'm sure this will also affect qvc, hsn etc with most clothing coming from factories in China...

The 'slow boat from China' now becomes 'NO boat from China'.

Super Contributor

Don't forgot pharmaceuticals. Clothes, not so important.

Honored Contributor

@roster wrote:

Don't forgot pharmaceuticals. Clothes, not so important.

@roster, everything affected is economically important. And to the poster who bemoaned "global dependency," that inevitable ship sailed ages ago and for good reason.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@disneynut57 wrote:

Well I do not have a screw loose.  I am planning a cruise in April and a trip to Ireland in July.  I am not going to let things that are out of my control dictate my life.

Heck...maybe travel will be cheaper.  Travel will be more enjoyable without crowds.

Same here!  I plan on going to Spain in June and I'm looking forward to it.  I hate airports and getting on a plane but I still want to travel. Yes maybe some places will be less crowded if enough people are scared.

I'm going to Florida next month to visit my mother...there is no way I could drive that far by myself and so the only way I can see her is to fly.

I'm really hoping that this virus will fizzle out when the weather changes just like the flu does every year.  What ever happened to the Zika virus?  That was a big scare a year or two ago and now we never hear about it.

Super Contributor

suzeQ3, Oh, pleeeze! Don't lecture me!

Honored Contributor

"Crisis??"

Ah, don't think so....

Honored Contributor

I would like to say that there is always going to be a New virus or a New disease and that is the way it is and always has been.  There is new medicine for AIDS now.  There is no need for panic and China will go on. I do not blame China for making so many products.  America is the one giving jobs to China.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Seems we need to bring a lot of manufacturing back to the US.  Many have said that for years. This may just be the catalyst.

Honored Contributor

You can't force companies and businesses to manufacture where you might want them to.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

You can't force companies and businesses to manufacture where you might want them to.

Exactly. There needs to be some existing infrastructure to support an industry to take root. That can't be done entirely by a single company...unless, of course, your name is Jeff, Elon or Bill...you get the idea. The start-up cost for most others would be prohibitive,not to mention the regulations and laws it would involve to take on such a feat.