Trusted Contributor

coronavirus & all the clothes made in china...

saw on the news how there will be a shortage of wedding dresses this spring/summer since most are made in China...i'm sure this will also affect qvc, hsn etc with most clothing coming from factories in China...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: coronavirus & all the clothes made in china...

Glad I bought my grandmother-of-the-groom dress last month.

Honored Contributor

Clothing will not be the only thing affected. Look around you and just see how many things are made over there. Most everything plastic, which is a lot, is made in China. Electronics, cars, appliances...the list is endless.

Super Contributor

I looked up the news story about the wedding dresses and here's a link from CNN. I didn't even think about the virus affecting that. Think about all the other stuff that the US imports from China like computers and electronics. Wonder what effect it will have on those? 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/21/business/wedding-gowns-coronavirus/index.html

Esteemed Contributor

If I am not mistaken, electronic chips for so many devices come from China.  The mineral used for this production is in very short supply here.  Also, think about where certain drugs are manufactured.  I was shocked to see “Made in China” even on a bottle of Alleve.  I wonder where all the sophisticated medical devices we depend on are manufactured.  Forget about dreaming about manufacturing cheap stuff in this country.  Before my DD left her last research position, her lab purchased a very advanced device used for analyzing cells.  It was manufactured in Germany, at a cost of about one-half million dollars.  University research, where so many diseases are studied with hopes of successful treatment.  And not for profit.   China has invested heavily in solar energy, which is being used there and exported.  Think of how many in America could be employed in such industries.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

If I am not mistaken, electronic chips for so many devices come from China.  The mineral used for this production is in very short supply here.  Also, think about where certain drugs are manufactured.  I was shocked to see “Made in China” even on a bottle of Alleve.  I wonder where all the sophisticated medical devices we depend on are manufactured.  Forget about dreaming about manufacturing cheap stuff in this country.  Before my DD left her last research position, her lab purchased a very advanced device used for analyzing cells.  It was manufactured in Germany, at a cost of about one-half million dollars.  University research, where so many diseases are studied with hopes of successful treatment.  And not for profit.   China has invested heavily in solar energy, which is being used there and exported.  Think of how many in America could be employed in such industries.

That part concerns me. Some of my supplements are sourced from China and just yesterday I went to order one of them only to find out it is on backorder. That company I order from said they could not give me a ETA and told me to 'check back later'...Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

It is hard to see how for this might impact. I know several people who are rethinking summer travel plans to Europe. Their concern:not being able to get back in the US because of exposure in airports or plane.

What do you all think? Would you worry about travelling to Europe?

Trusted Contributor

100% i would...google northern italy & see how bad it is....they've basically cancelled everything there..& this is just the beginning

Honored Contributor

I think all clothing as well as thousands pf other products will be affected.  For example, I buy a huge percentage of my clothing from 2 different local "chains."  I call them chains, but each has maybe 6 stores.  One is high-priced, one not so much.  But in both price ranges, a big portion of the inventory comes from China, so the future of the inventories in both is unclear at this time.

I think that's true for so many other products because even many items not marked as made in China contain parts that come from there.  I just can't spend too much of my emotional energy worrying about possible shortages or price increases because there's very little I can do that will change anything.

What are others doing? 

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

It is hard to see how for this might impact. I know several people who are rethinking summer travel plans to Europe. Their concern:not being able to get back in the US because of exposure in airports or plane.

What do you all think? Would you worry about travelling to Europe?

No way in h*ll would we even get on a plane going any where or ship for that matter. In these uncertain times you have to have a screw loose to even contemplate such a thing.  Not worth it to me.