Honored Contributor

Re: coronavirus & all the clothes made in china...

@wonderfulworld wrote:

It is hard to see how for this might impact. I know several people who are rethinking summer travel plans to Europe. Their concern:not being able to get back in the US because of exposure in airports or plane.

What do you all think? Would you worry about travelling to Europe?

A big yes.  I think I would travel in the U. S.  Remember that slogan a long time ago see america firstSmiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Well I do not have a screw loose.  I am planning a cruise in April and a trip to Ireland in July.  I am not going to let things that are out of my control dictate my life.

Heck...maybe travel will be cheaper.  Travel will be more enjoyable without crowds.

Honored Contributor

@alohakz wrote:

saw on the news how there will be a shortage of wedding dresses this spring/summer since most are made in China...i'm sure this will also affect qvc, hsn etc with most clothing coming from factories in China...

I remember when almost everything was made here.  I still remember the commercial and song Look for the Union lable.  Having things made in other countries because it was cheaper to make and then bring back here to sale was never a good idea.  So many people lost good paying jobs.  There are a lot of people now working two or three jobs just to pay normal bills.  Maybe things will change now for the better.

Super Contributor

There will be a huge shortage of many things, medications, clothing, electronics and much much more.  My husband saw a news report about a shortage of toilet paper because it's made in China.  People need to smarten up.  I am leaving by plane for a short reunion in Las Vegas today.  Yes, I am concerned about the virus, but will try to take precautions as best as we can.

Respected Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

There will be a huge shortage of many things, medications, clothing, electronics and much much more.  My husband saw a news report about a shortage of toilet paper because it's made in China.  People need to smarten up.  I am leaving by plane for a short reunion in Las Vegas today.  Yes, I am concerned about the virus, but will try to take precautions as best as we can.

I think you will be fine. I would be more concerned about leaving the country and being forbidden to return until you are quarantined.

Respected Contributor

China and Coronavirus are a good example of what happens when you “kick the can down the road” and avoid facing the problem of global dependency. 

Esteemed Contributor

I certainly wouldn't travel outside the U.S.A. during this crisis.  And, yes, I'm a little concerned about China imports.  I've been checking food labels in our kitchen to see if anything we eat comes from China.  We can't stop living our every day lives, but we should be cautious.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I would not travel outside of the u.s. for awhile...wait and see how this thing plays out.

I have not read or heard how Cananda is being affected.  Anyone?  

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I would not travel outside of the u.s. for awhile...wait and see how this thing plays out.

I think they have a few cases there. Maybe in the western part.

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I think they have a few cases there. Maybe in the western part.

The BBC is reporting 9 cases in Canada.