Honored Contributor

Re: chemical smell -- how to remove?

September;  It's the inhaling of the odors that couldn't be too good for us, too.  Just be careful re: newborns and babies.  Make sure their laundry detergent is unscented.  Moms used to use Ivory Flakes and Ivory Snow years ago.  I guess they had a more natural, instinctive common sense (without having to research 'this and that') in those days.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Not just the Q.  It's everywhere.  B&M stores, too.  I'm now able to wear a hooded striated (melange) zippered top that I've been airing out, in a spare room, for about a month or so.  I actually forgot all about checking on it (smelling it).  It's wearable now, and I don't have to wrap it in newspapers or wash it first.  Yay!  Anyway, most (or many) clothes I buy in person have that petroleum odor.   As far as pants, I air out the right side for a couple of weeks, then the inside for another couple of weeks.  The darker the colors, the longer it takes.  Must be the dyes, too, in addition to the anti-moth, and other sprays.  Well, we wouldn't want to see moths and spiders or mildew on our items, so I can see them being treated for those reasons, during long shipping trips. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I can not believe the Q allows clothes to be sent out with that awful smell.  I returned a top from D&Co.   The smell was so strong.  I never experience that when I order clothes from other companies.  Are the clothes made in a stink factory?  Cat Mad

I got my jeans from Macy's. I bought 2 pairs of the same jeans one smelled and the other didn't . Weird, huh?

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

Years ago, when clothing was manufactured here, it was a fairly short trip in any direction (via train or truck) to a store.  So, within a week or less, clothing was delivered and placed on hangers to hang on store racks or placed on shelves.  Not much need for various sprays and chemicals.  It's 'different' now-a-days.  Long trips via ships which carry a variety of goods in all kinds of changing weather.  So, items must be protected against various pests, mildew, moths, etc.   Well, that's my lecture for the evening, lol.  Sweet dreams, and Enjoy the rest of our week. 

Super Contributor

Its called outgassing, and it is not uncommon in fabrics from China. I have an extremely expensive Coach handbag that stinks. I've been working on getting rid of the smell for three years and its still there. I've tried coffee grounds, dryer sheets, Dryel (home dry cleaning/refresher kit), cotton balls soaked in lavender, a bar of soap with the bag zipped up for three months, setting it outside on sunny days, cotton balls soaked in Febreze, stuffed it with newspaper...and I'm probably forgetting some things I've done. I've literally put some of these items in the bag, zipped it up and let it sit for months at a time and all to no avail.

Coach refused to do anything, and I'm sure they are aware of this. It isn't uncommon to have mattresses with outgassing either with the new gel foam mattresses. 

This online article talk a little bit about it. As you can see at the bottom, Cotton polyester blends are commonly treated with formaldehyde and softened with chemicals such as ammonia.   

Honored Contributor

Try wrapping your handbag in newspaper.  Also, stuff the interior with newspapers.  The mostly print pages are better than the pages with photos.  Let it sit for a couple of weeks.  See what happens.

Trusted Contributor

When something smells so bad that you can't wear it or use it send it back.  I've received a couple of pairs of jeans that reeked of a chemical smell and it wouldn't wash out.  I got a chenille bedspread from Stan Herman that was so bad you couldn't even be in the same room with it.  That is unacceptable and I sent it back.  How can that possibly be okay?  It can't be good for you.

Valued Contributor

Wow -- thank you, ALL.   Your input was really helpful.  Glad I asked!  Thanks again.  Much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

September;  It's the inhaling of the odors that couldn't be too good for us, too.  Just be careful re: newborns and babies.  Make sure their laundry detergent is unscented.  Moms used to use Ivory Flakes and Ivory Snow years ago.  I guess they had a more natural, instinctive common sense (without having to research 'this and that') in those days.

yes!  I bought unscented laundry detergent for my granddaughters when they visit.  Then I asked myself why I don't use this for me as well?  I have sensitive skin, and this is what I now use.  I've become more aware of scents recently, which is why that stinky jacket just had to go back!

Esteemed Contributor

I remove the smell by returning items that come to my home with that stench.  Who knows how what it is and it can be ingrained and lays against your skin which takes in all those toxins.