Respected Contributor

I love them! Very Audrey Hepburn.

I have narrow shoulders. A boat neck broadens them a bit.

I like boat necks that expose the collarbone. Ones that are very high don't work as well, due to my short neck.

This is one of those love them or hate them things. 

Respected Contributor

Re: boat neck tops

[ Edited ]

It can be hard to find sweaters with a boat neckline. I love this one from Nordstrom: Leath Cozy Femme Pullover Sweater. It's reduced now from $59 to $23.60. 9 colors. (I have the blue.)

Honored Contributor

That's a neckline I avoid.  The look/fit just doesn't work for my wide shoulders.

For sweaters - I prefer a crew or turtleneck.

Regular Contributor

I wonder if the reason some don't like them is because they are very modest ? No cleavage showing. This is a reaon I do like them. I hate having to wear camis all the time because of necklines cut too low for me to feel comfortable.

Honored Contributor

I don't like them. Not because they are modest with no cleavage showing, but my bra straps keep showing. A no no.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

That's a neckline I avoid.  The look/fit just doesn't work for my wide shoulders.

@ALRATIBA funny, I don't like them because I have NARROW shoulders. When I wear boatneck tops, it looks like I have NO shoulders at all. 

Respected Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

It can be hard to find sweaters with a boat neckline. I love this one from Nordstrom: Leath Cozy Femme Pullover Sweater. It's reduced now from $59 to $23.60. 9 colors. (I have the blue.)

@peachesncream these look more like a wide scoopneck to me. I guess the term "boatneck" is subjective .

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse

That makes total sense!  

The neck opening is too wide for you and too narrow for me.   

A lot of ready-to-wear just isn't designed for my body type.  The main reason I design and make my own sweaters.

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA funny, I don't like them because I have NARROW shoulders. When I wear boatneck tops, it looks like I have NO shoulders at all. 

Respected Contributor

@patofl  I love boatnecks -- they're great for almost anyone with wide hips and narrow shoulders.  Plus, they make the neck look longer, and are perfect with scarves.

Respected Contributor

I could have one in my closet. I would take the pink. It looks good against dark denim.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18