Honored Contributor

Re: are you comfortable wearing red in public

[ Edited ]

Sure!  Why not!  Even if I don't like a color I would be comfortable wearing it.  I would not be comfortable in that red closed neck blouse though - no matter the color!!! 

Honored Contributor

Why make things about a color? I don't understand that at all?

Honored Contributor

This thread is hilarious.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I do think that, not always, but a lot of the time, we're instinctively drawn to colors that look good on us.  Sometimes, if you're wearing a color that is "wrong" on you, it can slightly bum you out-- you don't feel your best.

I think that may be what OP was getting at?  The solid, bright red shirt would not make me "uncomfortable", so much as I would be aware, on some level, that it's a poor look for me!

There's no color I can't stand, in the right context.  I can enjoy expanses of bright red on others, but small amounts look better on me-- it's a bit jarring with my pale, "Summer" complexion.  My best "red" (having the effect of red, stirring emotions, looking strong, or romantic), is in fact, is a deep, off-pink.  Flattering on me, the way bright scarlet is on a brunette with vivid coloring.  A classic redhead's 'red" might well be "brick" or "terra cotta"...

Trusted Contributor

Maybe I'm just saying it's not a color for me now though it can be successful for other women.

Lisa in red dress.jpg

Honored Contributor

Very often in the fall I am uncomfortable wearing ORANGE or BURNT ORANGE because our football rivals wear these unfortunate colors. . . Woman Wink

But red?  Never except to a funeral. 

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

No.  Red shoulld only worn in private after the curtains are drawn and perhaps not even then.

I respectfully  disagree.  Really love wearing a bright red raincoat when it storms.  Brightens up an otherwise dreary day.

Respected Contributor

I do not like Red and do not wear it ever; looks terrible with my skin tone.  Love the Burgundy's, Merlots, Wines, etc and wear much of those colors!

Respected Contributor

I like red, but have reddish blonde hair, so feel it clashes with my hair color.  I have a red winter coat that I wear occasionally. 

Honored Contributor

So, is this a fashion question, a beauty question, a political question, an intimate relationship question, a bravery question, a moral question, a spiritual question, a religious question, or is there something else behind it?

Are you talking about one particular shade of red or are all reds equal to you?  Does red mean something to you?  What difference does wearing any color in public mean over wearing another color in public?  What does wearing a color in public (versus, I assume, in private) have to do with anything?  

How can anyone answer without knowing what the question means?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.