Super Contributor

Re: are you comfortable wearing red in public

Sure am!  In fact, I'm wearing red today!!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva,

I recall that my mother and those of her generation found the choice of a red dress (the sort of garment they primarily wore in her day) a bold move.  The color was associated with passion, etc., and most women did not wear the color for everyday clothing.

However, Mama often repeated the story that she first caught my father's eye at a large banquet because she was wearing a red gown.  The occasion was a dinner/dance, and so she was wearing something formal.  (The time was the early 1940s.)  So, I guess the women dared to wear red more in the evenings.

As for me, I adore blue/reds.

Honored Contributor

Are you comfortable wearing blue in public OP? I immediately saw what you were getting at and I don't like it one bit. Why can't people stop the madness that is going on today?

Respected Contributor

Totally understand the question.  Many of us have our reasons, whether it's how we tend to stand out among the crowd, or it's just too harsh of a color to pull off.  I love wearing red clothing items around this time of year, but I mostly keep it limited to accessories other times.  I love my red handbag!  Red is a favorite decorating color for me, so I definitely love the color.  I just want to add, be super careful with the bright red lipstick.  I hate to be critical on that, but some ladies just cannot pull that off.  Hopefully, you know who you are.  Ugh.

Honored Contributor

Love pops of red and would wear it alot--I don't have much in it tho---hmm, wonder why?? Maybe have to fix that -----

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

LipstickDiva,

I recall that my mother and those of her generation found the choice of a red dress (the sort of garment they primarily wore in her day) a bold move.  The color was associated with passion, etc., and most women did not wear the color for everyday clothing.

However, Mama often repeated the story that she first caught my father's eye at a large banquet because she was wearing a red gown.  The occasion was a dinner/dance, and so she was wearing something formal.  (The time was the early 1940s.)  So, I guess the women dared to wear red more in the evenings.

As for me, I adore blue/reds.

@golding76Your comment about your mother has made the song 'Lady in Red' ( Lionel Ritchie ? ) start going thru my mind. I guess it can be a pretty important color if songs are written about it.

Honored Contributor

Dear okaywitheasypay,

Because the time my parents met was a time of  idealized romantic love ( like the sort  seen on the silver screen -- at least I think so), my father fell for Mama that night.  Really.

Consequently, he never wanted her to wear a red dress again in her life, and she obliged him.

True story. 

Respected Contributor

Is red considered too racy or something? I don’t think people perceive it that way anymore. I don’t wear red. Except, a red tank around Christmas underneath a plaid flannel shirt or a black or gray cardigan. I also have one red waffle shirt to go with sleep pants  for that time of year also.

Only because it does not look all that great on me, in any shade of it.

I think if one finds the right shade for their coloring, it looks nice.

I just never really see women wearing red too much it seems. Versus, I will see a man wearing a red polo shirt or red T-shirt quite often either with khakis or denim.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@golding76 Heart aw...he wanted to keep her all to himself .sweet story.

Esteemed Contributor

Of course, why wouldn't I be?????  I drive a red car and wear red throughout the year.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown