Honored Contributor

Re: are you comfortable wearing red in public

I don't wear red unless it is more of a cranberry color.  

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

No.  Red shoulld only worn in private after the curtains are drawn and perhaps not even then.

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!  Best answer by far!

What?

1890 called and wants it's corset back.

This is a joke, right?

@Ms tyrion2

@Still Raining is being sarcastic. You got that, right? Her answer is supposed to be funny. 

Based on some of the other answers on this thread, I wanted to be sure.

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I love red.  It's always been my favorite color.

Esteemed Contributor

No.  I was always told red was my best color, but I don’t wear it.  I like black, greys & olives.

Esteemed Contributor

I tend to classify color and red, in my book, was always a flashy/in-your-face color, adding to which is the fact that I don't "wear" it well, due to the face that my skin is well pigmented with yellow tones.

Having said that, back in the mid-90s, we were involved in a very unfortunate law suit caused by the fall of my daughter's best friend in our back yard.  She hurt her back.  It was on our property, so we were at fault.  I get it.  However, her parents, especially her mother, who was my best friend, completely exagerated the entire mishap and lied in court.

Backing up: Before going to court to settle their ridiculous $350,000 suit against us, I asked an attorney friend what I should wear.  Without skipping a beat, she said RED.  So, I went to Nordstrom and purchased a Jones New York 3 piece separates suit:  red silk mix pencil skirt, black silk mix blazer and red silk blouse, with 5mm cream vertical stripes "painted" on the red silk here and there.  Honestly, walking into court I walked and felt great.  The best part of the outcome was that my former best friend, her husband and daughter were handed a just outcome by the judge in that they walked out of there having been awarded the same amount our insurance company, Farmers, offered them 2 weeks after the injury: the blue book for a juvenille back injury with no fracture, no nerve damage, etc.  And that was $30k.  They also had to pay all attorneys fees and court costs.  My husband and I went out to lunch, me dressed in my red, and celebrated our win!

Esteemed Contributor

I wear red but would not wear red pants.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have to not wear red if I want to play it low key.  Red wears so well with my coloring that it seems like I always have too much fun when I wear anything red Woman Wink.  Jokes aside, I do wear red frequently for my after 5 attire and own red coats, and have an extensive selection of red shoes and handbags.  

Esteemed Contributor

I notice a great dress, sweater or coat because it's beautiful  no matter the color, not just because it's red. Except for one this one time.I was at a wedding for one of my bosses. Wedding was 2:00 the reception was 4 hours later, an late afternoon/evening deal. I turned to say something to a co-worker next to me and YIKES, groom'sfriend brought a date.They are coming down the aisle to be seated. Long red gown, slinky,spaghetti straps, cleveage and a slit headed due north.  Now on the red carpet she would have looked great, in a church, nope. Just inappropriate and wrong.  It was late May and she didn't even try a lite wrap over her shoulders to cover straps and somewhat hide the cleveage. You have hours before reception to change into party clothes. When boss came back from honeymoon we asked, "So Jeff" that was as far as we got before he said "the red dress".  He is very conservative and he was not impressed. Truthfully, it was wrong for occasion in red, black or any other color.

Honored Contributor

I love it, OP.