Valued Contributor

any comments on a monthly beauty box?

I have just started receiving the itsby box, this will be my 3rd one this month when I receive it.

I have mixed feelings. These are sample sizes which is a nice way to try something. Price is $10. But there are things that are of no use to me. You do fill out a survey of your favorite beauty products. Not sure they follow it closely.

Honored Contributor

Re: any comments on a monthly beauty box?

I too started with the Ipsy box and I think when I get mine this month, it will be my fourth.  Like you, I'm unsure about it  The price is right but I definitely don't feel as if they follow the survey too closely or even the comments/reviews I give after every shipment. 

I've received a few full-size products though including an eyeliner, 2 lipsticks and an eyeshadow pencil.  Last month I received a full size lipgloss that is not a shade for me but my sister was happy to take it as well as the black liner I rec'd and will never use.   I think they include at least 1 FS product a month. 

I'm going to give it a couple more shipments and if things don't improve, I'll cancel.  It's not like I really need the stuff anyhow.  LOL      

Contributor

I started with the Fab Fit Fun beauty box (Guilianna Rancic's blog).  It was expensive  (about $50) but quarterly. The stuff was full sized but mixed beauty products with accessories.  Some was useable but  also a lot of it wasn't of interest to me....cheapie sunglasses, ugly rubber bracelets, etc.  The beauty products were mostly high end. I quit that after about a year and giving most of the stuff to my daughter, age 26.  It was more her style but even she did not want the accessory items.

Next, I tried IPSY because i heard they had good brands like IT Cosmetics in full sizes. I received two shipments before I quit that also. Although it is only $10/mo and fun to get in the mail,what I received was probably not even worth that. You get a tiny little makeup bag and mostly sample sized stuff from brands I have never heard of.....and I am a total makeup junkie! Most of the stuff is either being given away or tossed.  I did keep the black eyeliner pencil and a liquid lip product.

I don't know if I would try another beauty box as they don't really seem worth it....if it was for introducing  you to products you would actually buy again, then it would be nice, but I didn't find that to be true for me.  I'd rather spend the money on beauty products that I want and need.

Honored Contributor

Someone I know recently posted on FB about another monthly beauty box called Boxycharm.  It's $21.00 a month but everything is full size.  Just another thought.   

Honored Contributor

@Soushi24 wrote:

I have just started receiving the itsby box, this will be my 3rd one this month when I receive it.

I have mixed feelings. These are sample sizes which is a nice way to try something. Price is $10. But there are things that are of no use to me. You do fill out a survey of your favorite beauty products. Not sure they follow it closely.

That was my experience with Birch Box, as well. It was kind of fun to get the package and open it to find new things, but often they were things I wasn't interested in. Only a few times did they send me something I really loved and only twice did that translate to my buying a full size. After a while I canceled. I've tried 3 different subscription boxes and have canceled all three. I can't even remember the name of one service and the other was Julep.

Honored Contributor

If I had someone to offer what I don't want, I'd try a box at least for a few months, but as it is, that $10 is $120+ a year.

Would you spend $120 for what you get or would you rather choose your own beauty for that much?

Trusted Contributor

I get the Allure Beauty box and am almost always pleased with what they send me.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I've gotten three Allure beauty boxes so far, been happy with all of them.  15.00 a month.  I also get Walmart's 5.00 per quarter.  Is that still going?  I haven't had one lately. 

Honored Contributor

I was a Julep Maven. Their boxes were worth the price, but I never cared for their color combinations.  Also their bottles were glass and a few times the necks broke, making a real mess.  They wanted me to send pictures of the whatever I felt was ruined.  It just wasn't worth the hassle.

Honored Contributor

I just received an e-mail with the contents of my September Ipsy box.  I'm definitely cancelling. 

Once again there is another bottle of nail polish, this one by Formula X and the color is ignite; Liptini lipstick in what appears to be a full size and the color is Starlet Cocktail, an NYX eyeshadow trio that looks nice but it's in shades of brown which I just don't need, and it appears they made it specifically for Ipsy; a soothing moisture mask by Eau Thermale Avene and Bayberry Naturals facial moisturizer.  The bag included looks like a gold brocade bag.

As I looked at that stuff I was thinking, if I saw any of these sets put together and sold in a store for $10.00, I wouldn't spend the money, which is when I decided to just cancel.

Now I see Millieshops is on the same wavelength.  LOL