Honored Contributor

If that is basically how they have always dressed,  I think it's great that they didn't change their looks just because of age but I get the impression that they are putting on a show for attention.  I don't dress in the typical older woman's style like many of my contempories have transitioned to because of age but I still dress like I always have in clothing that is different than most wear.  My dress style is me and those who know me would be shocked if I started changing the way I dress.  I have always worn what I like and really like what I wear.  I could never settle for boring conservative clothing because that's not who I am but conservative clothing is how many have always dressed so that is who they are and many have changed their style for comfort as they age and that's understandable also.  I say dress to suit yourself and who cares what others think and if you want to put on a show dressing different than you used to then if you are enjoying yourself that's great also!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: age-defiant elders

[ Edited ]

Those who do not like their spirit might want to listen to this by Toby Keith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc5AWImplfE

After a day of playing golf with Cllint Eastwood, Toby asked him what he was going to do the following day to which he replied, "shoot a film..."  Toby asked him how he kept up at his age and he replied "Don't let the old man in..."  Toby went home and wrote a song to that effect and got Clint's approval.

Trusted Contributor

I remember when I was a young working girl in a downtown city and taking the bus everyday there used to be a woman who came on the bus dressed in very short, young looking clothes and a buffont hair do.  I remember one day when she went down the aisle some of the women started remarking about her outfit and I definitely heard one woman say something like "yeah but you should look at her face" and I always remembered that.  I tried to find a picture of someone near to that woman and I attach here.  It doesn't always work out in a pleasant looking way.

senior woman in mini dress.jpg

Super Contributor

No to the majority of those outfits at ANY age.

Hugs . . . Beth 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Equuleus wrote:

Love it!  They stay in touch with who they are.

@Equuleus  We all look at things differently for sure.  To me some of them look like they are out of touch with who they are, and are trying desperately

to be someone they aren't.  Some look like nice. 

But then some people just want to call attention to themselves, no matter if it is good or bad; if they look lovely or absurd it's all about getting attention.

But I readily admit that I do care very much how others see me, I do dress for how I want others to perceive me.  So, one of my great fears is being thought of as an old fool.  I'm sure I'll get there soon enough. . . Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

Rock it 'til you can't!

I saw a lot of black and white. Good call.

Some red and blue/ denim, too.

That's my palette, with a dash of mageta and purple thrown in for good measure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most of them look like they are enjoying life!  Many remind me of designer Iris Apfel (on the sister shopping channel) who has made her money dressing  much like many of these cheerful folks...so there are those purchasing her clothing/accessories on another shopping channel who pay to look like this.  And that's ok with me, it is a personal decision in life how we present ourselves to the world on our own time and if it makes you happy I say live it in spades! (I would draw a line in the sand at blue hair and boob cleavage, but that is my personal decision and that decision has nothing to do with age).

Respected Contributor

Well, good for them if that's the way they've always dressed. For me, I think the majority of those outfits are a hot mess for any age. And we've already had a long, drawn out discussion over the picture of the woman with the poodle. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

At that age, you’ve earn the right to wear whatever the heck you want.  No judgement here. 

Honored Contributor

AgreeHeart

@GenXmuse wrote:

At that age, you’ve earn the right to wear whatever the heck you want.  No judgement here.