Esteemed Contributor

I sure wish designers would make more coats w/buttons instead of zippers.  Many times I would have bought if it wasn't for the zipper closure.  It takes two hands to zip the coat shut.  And if it isn't a 2 way zip, it is hard to sit in the car w/that zipper!  With buttons, you can do it one handed and button just the ones you want or that is necessary.

Everyone to their own choice, I guess.

Honored Contributor

I like zippers.Woman Happy I have problems with my hands and buttons are difficult for me to handle. All of my coats, except for a couple toggle-closure ones, have zippers.

Honored Contributor

I have a great coat with both.

I need the zipper when it's really cold, with the wind blowing.

Sometimes it's more convenient to have buttons -- mine actually has snaps, even better!

@Patriot3 wrote:

I sure wish designers would make more coats w/buttons instead of zippers.  Many times I would have bought if it wasn't for the zipper closure.  It takes two hands to zip the coat shut.  And if it isn't a 2 way zip, it is hard to sit in the car w/that zipper!  With buttons, you can do it one handed and button just the ones you want or that is necessary.

Everyone to their own choice, I guess.

Honored Contributor

I like zippers, but it seems that if the manufacturer is going to cheap out, it's on the zipper. Several times I've had to had a zipper replaced, because they broke or never really worked right. My newest jacket has a zipper and snaps, it's too much.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

''it is hard to sit in the car w/that zipper!''

For me it's the opposite.  I have popped many buttons on my coats getting in & out of the drivers seat.

Zippers I can just unzip to loosen.

If there is a Burlington Coat Factory in your town, strongly suggest that you make it your business to visit.  A wide selection of zippered & buttoned coats.

Check out their website if you online shop.  Take note, better selections "in store."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

IMO - when it is very cold a zipper is warmer. Buttons can let air in between them. I've never owned a coat with a zipper that wasn't able to be zipped open a little so you could sit comfortably. Take it from someone who had to stand in some bitter cold waiting for the bus - zippers are better. I used to buy down coats that went all the way to my ankles!

Valued Contributor

I'm a button popper, so I always go with zippers. But I have to say that I'm drawn to coats with them and toggles as well. A lot of times they just seem more stylish.

Honored Contributor

I prefer buttons also.  I think nice buttons are more expensive than a zipper.  I realy don't like zippers on long coats.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you 100%...........to me zippers are a pain....and when one breaks...it is the end of the item unless you want to pay a tailor to replace the zipper which can be a bit expensive............i prefer buttons....i can replace buttons myself......or even replace them  for a change...i also prefer buttons on vests............love to wear the warm vests but they all seem to be done w/zippers and high neck collars........so that stops me from buying them.....

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

''it is hard to sit in the car w/that zipper!''

For me it's the opposite.  I have popped many buttons on my coats getting in & out of the drivers seat.

Zippers I can just unzip to loosen.

If there is a Burlington Coat Factory in your town, strongly suggest that you make it your business to visit.  A wide selection of zippered & buttoned coats.

Check out their website if you online shop.  Take note, better selections "in store."

@Never thought of Burlington.  Yes, there is one in my area, but I'm not one for shopping anymore and besides, I have Strep throat right now, so I went on their web site and found one!  Hope it fits and is what I want.  Thanks for the suggestion @MziMac.