Honored Contributor

An excerpt from the article in case you don't want to click on the link or it gets taken down: 

Fashion has another major casualty: Zac Posen. The designer is shuttering the business that he founded in 2001.

“Horrible.” “Pretty intense.” “Surreal.” Posen thus described the closure in a conversation with WWD on Friday afternoon. “We had to close up House of Z, Z-Spoke, the whole company,” he said.

The decision came today, a move Posen called “surprising and immediate.” Employees were informed this afternoon. The company will cease operations immediately, and the spring collection Posen showed in September will not be shipped. “The board made a difficult decision,” he said. “We were in a sale process and we ran out of time.

“There was a board vote. We had to make the call,” Posen continued. “My partners and I tried everything possible within our means to find solutions to keep it going. I have been trying to find the right strategic partners at this tough time in retail and in the industry. The clock ran out.”

Honored Contributor

That's very surprising, even the wealthy people who purchased his clothing couldn't keep it going. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

So sad, he is a great designer.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Zac Posen Shutting Down

[ Edited ]

My guess is that he will re group & be back.Who know's maybe he'll design a line for QVC.Look how successful Louis has become on the Q since his couture designing days.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Say what you will but....I truly believe the 

death of Joan Rivers has had/is/will have a

long-lasting effect on the fashion industry.

She continually promoted designers through her

red-carpet banter creating the "who are you wearing"

bit and with her shows, etc.  That was free advertising 

to many...even on the $$$$ level of customer.

She died 5 yrs ago...enough time for designers

to begin to feel the effect of her death. I predict

Zac Posen won't be the last to call it quits. 

ETA: reading the replies...he might be going in another

direction & be MORE successful but definitely it won't 

be the red carpet success he had in the past. 

Respected Contributor

Zac Posen is talented and knowledgeable.

High fashion dependent mainly upon wealthy clients has truly become a business of the past. Most people do not want to spend thousands on gowns.

Bob Mackie realized that when he started selling on QVC eons ago.

Nowadays almost anybody can create a brand, and people will buy it, whether it has true design flair and care or not.

Honored Contributor

i wont be surprised to see him on a shopping channel OR in stores such as nordstrom or macys or saks eventually......with a much more afforable line of clothing and accessories.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

His line " Zac Zac Posen" has been at Nordstrom for quite sometime. 

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

Interesting news.  I am sure that he will not suffer from shutting down like his employees will.  However, it is too bad that he had to close his doors especially with the holidays just around the corner.  I hope his employees are able to retain work soon.  Zac may reinvent himself and do something on a smaller scale.  Yes, Issac was wise with his decision.  Maybe Zac can design at Target.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

His line " Zac Zac Posen" has been at Nordstrom for quite sometime, I got a dress last holiday season.  I think Neiman Marcus has also carried this less expensive brand for several years. 

if his business is shutting down, then he is going to have to bring a less expensive line into these stores (or other stores) if he is interested in designing for the masses. dresses in the 1000 - 2000 range arent for the average shopper.

maybe he spread himself too thin? project runway, catering to celebs, delta airlines uniforms, a bridal collection for davids bridal, brooks brothers, a cookbook?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein