Honored Contributor

Question for @lolakimono and anyone else.

Do you ever wear a yukata?  I have a couple I ordered years ago from the Smithsonian catalog.  Lovely cotton fabric, those wonderful sleeves, and so convenient in the evening or while getting dressed.  Mine are mostly blue.  (Yes, they come with a matching fabric tie belt.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

That is lovely!  I had one years ago that a boyfriend sent me from Japan in silk (it was beautiful, I think I still have it folded somewhere).... but I quickly realized that I'm not a tie around the waist girl, it would move, ride up, bunch up....etc.   Maybe if it came with a zipper up the front?   I'm just kidding.... Woman Wink  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I had a silk one too.  My uncle picked one up on one of his trips overseas.  I don't know what happened to it.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

Nope- no yukatas for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have one either, this is the first time my eyes have been exposed to yukata fashion. I like it, would really like the silk ones. Are they approx mid-calf? Can't tell from the pic.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach  it almost looks like a kimono.  is it short?  i had a kimono some time ago and gave it away.  this looks great if it is short to wear after a shower before getting dressed.

Honored Contributor

Hi @ladyroxanne

The ones I have, and I believe most of the ones the Smithsonian still sell, are to the ankle or longer (depending on how tall you are).  I prefer that myself.

@MaggieMack  Most are of cotton, some plain and some polished cotton.  And I believe others are of other fibers.  So if you want casual, around-the-house, cotton is what will likely work for you.  They are a great summertime robe.  For travel they can be very lightweight.  

Sigh, I used to be able to wrap the belt around my waist twice.  I wonder if those days will ever return?  (Well, I'm working on it!)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Having spent 4 years in Japan the Yukatas were cotton.  the Kimonos were silk.  Don't know how it is now but back in the day , that's the way it was

Honored Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

Having spent 4 years in Japan the Yukatas were cotton.  the Kimonos were silk.  Don't know how it is now but back in the day , that's the way it was

This is how I remember it too. I taught there for 3 years. The yukata was known as a "summer" kimono and was usually blue and white and lightweight. I have two - both white background with a blue pattern. Smiley Happy