Valued Contributor

Re: Your best Friend! What do you give her for Christmas?

My best friend is a woman with whom I have spent countless hours feeding, trapping, and adopting out countless cats and kittens. We have huddled in the cold, gotten soaking wet in the pouring rain, fostered kitties for one another, been there for each other when we've adopted out favorite kitties or had to deal with people who were angry about what we were doing. We are both hard workers when it comes to the cats and she never once bailed on me. Truly remarkable.

Unfortunately, we now live hundreds of miles apart and I have not seen her in 8 years, but we talk often on the phone, sharing a cup of coffee and advice. We don't exchange Christmas gifts per se, just cards, but we send each other little things during the year - articles, o pictures, books etc. that we think the other might like. I so appreciate having her in my life because she is a voice of reason and very supportive. I couldn't ask for someone better

Edited by me to correct the spelling of "bail", only to realize I had it right!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

My BFF and I have birthdays 2 weeks apart in December.

It's tough having birthdays close to Xmas so we decided to pick the Friday in between our birthdays and indulge ourselves. What started as a shopping day for her and I has morphed into an extravaganza that we now share with two other friends and call "Girls' Day".

We go to our favorite, beautiful outdoor mall. Starbuck's in the morning. Shop a little. Lunch al fresco with wine, shop some more. Then Happy Hour with Oysters Rockefeller at a favorite seafood restaurant.

It's not over yet! We then go to my house for snacks, wine and coffee drinks. I have a gas fire table outside and we bundle up in our PJs and talk for hours. It's a sleep over after all that wine. Breakfast the next morning and we start planning next year's Girls' Day.

It's become one of the highlights of the year. My house is decorated for the Holidays and we try to outdo the previous year with our choices of snacks. I cherish every minute of it.

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

I like to send my best friend something local from where I live. I springed/sprang/sprung for her to come and visit me shortly after I moved her and she loved the experience, so I send her a reminder of the tropics. Edited to correct typos, apparently I'm a klutz on the keyboard, LOL!
Trusted Contributor

The idea of giving to charities is outstanding. It's a difficult time of year for charities, also. It's incredible you have such a special friend in your life.
Super Contributor

Nothing. Because she/he is my friend.

Honored Contributor

Generally, nothing. We usually do something special - dinner & a concert or a play or some other special activity.

Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 mstyrion 1 said:

My BFF and I have birthdays 2 weeks apart in December.

It's tough having birthdays close to Xmas so we decided to pick the Friday in between our birthdays and indulge ourselves. What started as a shopping day for her and I has morphed into an extravaganza that we now share with two other friends and call "Girls' Day".

We go to our favorite, beautiful outdoor mall. Starbuck's in the morning. Shop a little. Lunch al fresco with wine, shop some more. Then Happy Hour with Oysters Rockefeller at a favorite seafood restaurant.

It's not over yet! We then go to my house for snacks, wine and coffee drinks. I have a gas fire table outside and we bundle up in our PJs and talk for hours. It's a sleep over after all that wine. Breakfast the next morning and we start planning next year's Girls' Day.

It's become one of the highlights of the year. My house is decorated for the Holidays and we try to outdo the previous year with our choices of snacks. I cherish every minute of it.

I love this idea! Doing something fun & memorable together is much better than buying a gift, IMO. If you live close enough to do something like this it is great!

Respected Contributor

We have been friends for over 30 years and have never exchanged Christmas gifts.

Respected Contributor

Books.

Super Contributor

We don't exchange gifts......she is retired and on a tight budget........I am widowed and on a budget too although I am still working..........we try to go out for a long lunch and a movie the week after Christmas. ..........gifts aren't a big deal..........