Honored Contributor

Re: Your Views On Tops That Are Shorter In Front?

ONLY for women with a F L A T mid-section

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@ECBG - I like this style. It really depends on the fabric and garment design. My tops don't expose the midsection 

I like it too...it depends on the style, fabric and I prefer it to be not too extreme.

Trusted Contributor

Feh. Too sloppy and fad-ish for me to relate to. I think it looks kind of childish. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   I never liked the Hi Lo, shark bite assymetrical or half

tuck looks. I like an even hemline and now, something that covers my midsection.

When I was younger and thinner, I wore crop tops, bare

midriff tops and halter tops.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Some people look wonderful in them, some not so much.  Like everything else.  I am glad to see that women are now more able to wear something "not flattering to their figure" because they like it.

While it isn't everyone's taste, (and of course there are always limits that people observe or not in all clothing) I like that there are lots more options now and options in different sizes.

@Sooner  I'm with you on this one.  I have always preferred a straight or shirt tail hem, but that's my choice.  I don't dislike them, or other styles just pick and choose what suits my taste.  There is something for everyone out there so enjoy what you like. 

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@ECBG   I never liked the Hi Lo, shark bite assymetrical or half

tuck looks. I like an even hemline and now, something that covers my midsection.

When I was younger and thinner, I wore crop tops, bare

midriff tops and halter tops.

@Enufstuff 

I wore a lot of midriff tops and halter tops in collage and on vacation as well.  I had a lot of really pretty fabric patterns and I sewed.  The girls on my hall all wanted me to sew for them, but with a double major, you can just imagine the amount of time I had.Smiley Happy

Contributor

The drape has to be generous and the hemline needs to be gradual not severe to look proportionate.  Otherwise, it looks awkward.  The first and third are the awkward looks.  Very poorly done.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  It is wonderful to know how to sew. Many women today, don't even know how to hem something. I learned to sew

when I was 11 and when I was 14, I was making dresses and tops for myself

without patterns.

When I married and had three little girls, I made most

of their dresses with Simplicity and McCall's patterns. Fabric was so affordable in the 60's and 70's. Many times, I dressed the girls

alike, but in different colors. Sometimes, when they were little, I

made a matching dress for myself and we wore them for Easter.

One year, I made lined capes, with side seam pockets to

go over the Easter dresses. I also made a few spring coats and

jackets for them.

My grandmother gave me a camel color cashmere coat that a friend gave her. It was a size 12 and no one in the family wore something that large. She gave it to me and said that I could probably do something with it. My oldest daughter was

4 years old and the following winter, she had a new cashmere

coat that I made for her.

I loved dressing my girls and I made quilts and doll clothes for them too. They also had dresses that I knitted for them. The owner of their dancing school had me make costumes for her older students' ballet recital.

One Easter, I made a coat for myself and a navy blue

Nehru jacket for my first husband. He wore the jacket with a turtle neck, but he would not wear a medallion pendant like so

many wore with Nehru jackets at the time.

When the girls got older, they just wanted to wear their Levis to school and I no longer made their dresses.

For the house, I sewed curtains and decorative pillows.

Then in the 80's I went back to dancing and learned Middle

Eastern dancing. I hand made all my own costumes and that was fun. My second daughter and I even did some shows together. I danced until I got Fibromyalgia at 45.

In the 80's I went back to college and double majored in Food Science Technology and Dietary Technology. Taking classes in summer and some evenings, in addition to daytime

classes and labs, I completed my degree in three years instead of four. So, I know what you mean about being busy with a double major.

In the 90's, I began sewing again and made and sold

doll clothes online. Does anyone remember Toni dolls? They

were made by Ideal in the late 40's and 50's. Ideal had collaborated with Gillette and made dolls with hair that could be "permed" and styled. I got my first Toni doll when I was 6

years old. They were beautiful dolls and their full skirted 1950's style clothes were so cute. I made those 50's style dresses with attached petticoats and sold them for a couple of years.

Now, I have not done any sewing recently, just hemming things, since I seem to be getting shorter.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff 

Your post was SO enjoyable!

I wore out a sewing machine making tie back curtains for my home as well as a quilt for a queen sized bed.  I moved the furniture out of the dining room and crawled all over that quilt to pin it!  That was years ago!  I tried everything to have girls, (temperature measuring, vinegar, feet on the wall) but had two boys!  Although I dressed them in Carters and Geranimals, I made their Halloween costumes for years!  One year they were even mice with big pink ears!!!

I still have a machine but HATE alterations and jeans are horrid to hem!  Much prefer to have it done!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  I'm glad that you enjoyed reading my post. Once I start writing, I know that I get too wordy. When my brother was away

at college, I would sometimes write him 6-8 page letters. Of

course I also sent homemade brownies or cookies, so he never

complained about the long letters.  He said that he enjoyed them. I think that he still has them 50 + years later.(Not the cookies and brownies, just the letters)

That just reminded me of a funny story, that had an unfortunate ending. ( See what I mean? I keep thinking of more to write)  At my first house, we had a plum tree and I would make plum jam. It was so good. I wanted to send some to my brother.  I decided to bake a couple of loaves of bread and send one to him, to have with the jam.

Well, wanting him to receive nice fresh bread, I baked it and double wrapped it, boxed it up with the jam and took it to the post office. First mistake, it was still warm when I wrapped it. I had never wrapped warm bread before, so I had no idea what would happen. The loaf that I had was fine, I cooled it on the rack as always.

I felt so bad when my brother told me that the bread had turned into a doughy lump. But, he enjoyed the jam.

Like you I have two boys, younger than the girls. Carters and Geranimals were what they wore also. The only thing I

remember sewing for my first son, was a little sailor suit when he was a year old. It was one piece with short pants and it buttoned down the front. It had the square sailor color, with a narrow white soutache braid edge trim, an embroidered star in the two corners and a red tie. I have a picture of the three girls in their sailor dresses with him. Five years later, his brother wore it. Of course, they wore matching navy knee socks and saddle shoes. I loved that look of short pants and knee socks on the boys.

My kids had homemade Halloween costumes too. We had a Halloween trunk with all the costumes and capes, masks

and wigs. They loved Halloween more than Christmas.

Your boys must have looked adorable in mice costumes.

The pink ears just made me think of the boy in "Christmas Story" wearing the pink bunny costume. I hope that your boys were younger than the boy in the movie.

I don't hem jeans now that ankle length and crops are available. Back in the day, we cut them and wore frayed bottom jeans. I see them being sold now, but I'm not going there. I love that more petites are available.

Not that I would want to do it, I saw online a way to shorten jeans and keep the original hem. You cut off the hem,

leaving a seam allowance. Then you pin the cut off piece to the

cut edge, adjusting for the length you want. You have the two cut edges, right sides together. Then you stitch along the original hem stitching. Clip excess fabric, turn and press flat.

I'm sure that you enjoyed your boys, but I'm sorry that you didn't have a girl. Maybe one day you will have a grand daughter to spoil and indulge.

See? Too wordy again.