Trusted Contributor

Re: Your Memory Of Drugstore Soda Fountains

Cherry, vanilla, lemon syrup in cokes from the old time soda dispenser in the "corner store" down the street from my grandparents' house. The small jam packed general store also had a glass candy case with all the old penny candies. My cousins and I always went there for popsicles in the summer. A real treat to visit.

When my mother was young she said my grandmother would send her to that store to buy her "nickel numbers" (lottery).

The store is gone now replaced by a chi-chi shop on the now most expensive realty in the state.......

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn the popular soda fountain beverage was the chocolate egg cream. Boy was that yummy!! Haven't thought of it in like 40 years!! Memories!!

@NicksmomESQ 

Egg creams are delicious but try finding one now!

Esteemed Contributor

We had a great one by the beach which was famous and always crowded.  Especially as teen it was THE place to go.  Fountain cokes with either cherry or vanilla syrup and Lime Rickey's.  Any sundae you wanted to create and all came with multi colored whipped cream, banana splits and their unbelievable "kitchen sink" which was an enormous sundae concoction for six people.  Such fun memories.  It is now long gone and the property turned into condos.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a teen, we didn't hang out at the drug store...that was for old people.  We had a place like Arnold's in the TV show Happy Days.

My friends and I would get off the school bus a few stops early and stop in after school almost everyday.

I would get a cherry or Vanilla Coke.  They had big dispensers of syrup behind the counter to mix with Coke.  They had the best hand dipped milk shakes in town too.  We would buy comic books and read them while we ate chips and drank sodas.

This place was here for years and generations of teens hung out there.  Not long after I graduated from HS, they closed.  

The reason, the kids would steal, fight and were unruly.  The owners were too old to put up with that.  The were really nice people.  I often think of them and their kindness to us.

( they would extend credit, if we were broke...we always paid up). Cokes were 5 cents  for small and 7 cents for large and 2 cents extra for cherry or vanilla syrup.

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn the popular soda fountain beverage was the chocolate egg cream. Boy was that yummy!! Haven't thought of it in like 40 years!! Memories!!

NicksmomESQ - Oh, did you bring back memories!  I also grew up in Brooklyn and loved those egg creams.  Also the black & white ice cream sodas.  I sure miss those days.
New Contributor

I just saw the post about the Sugar Bowl. Was it in Springfield, Illinois? My grandfather and Alex Karon owned the sugar bowl there. 

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ 

New York they are everywhere. The tristate area has them. My favorite place for one in New Jersey was Bischoff's in Teaneck, New Jersey. We used to take the kids there. Just checked, they still serve them....

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ 

New York they are everywhere. The tristate area has them. My favorite place for one in New Jersey was Bischoff's in Teaneck, New Jersey. We used to take the kids there. Just checked, they still serve them....

i'm a 71 year-old native Rhode Islander....and have no clue what an egg cream is....hope it tastes better than its name!!  lol.......

Respected Contributor

Cherry phosphates at Kresges or Woolworths soda fountain counter, downtown Indianapolis in the 1950s. In the funnel shaped white paper cup in a metal holder. 

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQYep. Chocolate egg creams at Juniors on Flatbush. So yummy.

@Trinity11  Bischoff's. Ah yes. Still a great place.