Respected Contributor

Re: Your Memory Of Drugstore Soda Fountains

Someone mentioned going to the soda shop after school... made me remember going to the Dugout in the small town where I went to high school. Four or five of us crammed into a tiny booth, drank Cokes and shared one order of fries. Big spenders. 😊

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I worked the soda fountain at our local drugstore in 1961 or 1962.  School kids were not allowed there during school hours.  The "hoods" hung out there, those guys with leather jackets and DA's.  Bad influence, I guess.  I even heard the word marijuana a few times.  After school the local paperboys would pile in for their cherry cokes.  Plain was 5 cents, cherry was 7 cents.  I think malts were 35 cents.  

Esteemed Contributor

There were two drugstores in the same block within walking distance in the Village where I grew up. 
   They both had soda fountains and my grandmother who lived next door took me often for banana splits, hot fudge sundaes and sodas.

My school was about a half mile away and we could take lunch, go home for lunch or the drug store. 
    My favorite was a chicken salad sandwich and coke, followed by a double ice cream cone to eat on the way back to school. They aren't there any more but many local restaurants are. 
      🥪 🥤 🍦 😋 ❣️

Honored Contributor

Peanut Butter fudge sundaes-no chocolate.

Honored Contributor

The only one I remember was a tiny spot in the corner of a tiny drug store.  It had 2 marble-top round tables.  I knw they served scoops of ice cream and soft drinks but I don't remember if they were bottled and opened or fountain drinks.

I never hung out a a soda fountain--don't remember that at all.  When I was a teen we cruised the drive in. 

Honored Contributor

I was born in 1955....never went to a drug store soda fountain for anything........but did go to 7 -11 for slurpees all the time!  

Honored Contributor

We still have an old fashioned soda fountain at one of our drugstores. It's been open since 1923!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesallanimals @NicksmomESQ @Andreatoo, @nana59,@Trinity11 

DH is from Brooklyn, I am from Queens. Both born in the Bronx.

We make egg creams here in SFla with Fox's U-bet Chocolate syrup, regular milk,and club soda in a coke style glass.Stir fast for foam top. Yum.

But, would be better  and more authentic with the old seltzer spritzer in glass bottle! 

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

@lovesallanimals @NicksmomESQ @Andreatoo, @nana59,@Trinity11 

DH is from Brooklyn, I am from Queens. Both born in the Bronx.

We make egg creams here in SFla with Fox's U-bet Chocolate syrup, regular milk,and club soda in a coke style glass.Stir fast for foam top. Yum.

But, would be better  and more authentic with the old seltzer spritzer in glass bottle! 

When I used to go to Bischoff's with the kids, they substituted sugar free chocolate syrup for regular for myself making it diabetic friendly. A nice treat on a hot summer day....

Honored Contributor

in ocean city maryland there are old fashioned ice cream parlors called dumsers dairyland. they have been around for MANY years......since the late 30s maybe? it is so fun to go in and have lunch or dinner and have a real fountain soda, maryland fried chicken,.....plus the ice cream at the end of course. the taste of those fountain sodas is so wonderful and free refills! they also do old fashioned ice cream sodas. their ice cream and sundaes are delicious also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein