Honored Contributor

Re: Your Memory Of Drugstore Soda Fountains

@retrolady wrote:

I just saw the post about the Sugar Bowl. Was it in Springfield, Illinois? My grandfather and Alex Karon owned the sugar bowl there. 

@retrolady , No, this one was in the southern tier of NY.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@nana59  They are really good. Milk, chocolate syrup and a shot of seltzer water. There are no eggs involved. The seltzer water makes it foam up. Classic drink.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn the popular soda fountain beverage was the chocolate egg cream. Boy was that yummy!! Haven't thought of it in like 40 years!! Memories!!

@NicksmomESQ 

Egg creams are delicious but try finding one now!

New York they are everywhere. The tristate area has them. My favorite place for one in New Jersey was Bischoff's in Teaneck, New Jersey. We used to take the kids there. Just checked, they still serve them....

i'm a 71 year-old native Rhode Islander....and have no clue what an egg cream is....hope it tastes better than its name!!  lol.......

@nana59 Half and Half or milk with seltzer and some vanilla, strawberry or chocolate syrup. There are no eggs in egg creams. Friendly's used to serve them in Rhode Island. I think they closed, a few years ago in Rhode Island though.

Respected Contributor

My grandparents lived within walking distance to the center of town - Westfield, NJ.  What a great town then, and still is.  Anyway, Woolworth's had a soda fountain counter and also the drug store we would walk to which was in a different part of town.  I'd walk w/my grandmother everywhere because she didn't drive.

My best memories though are at a Stewart's.  That was more of a drive-in food place, not a drug store, and we'd get brown cows or black cows.  Stewart's was famous for their root beer, so it was root beer with vanilla ice cream or root beer with chocolate ice cream - so delicious.

Also the grilled cheese sandwiches and fresh hot crispy crinkle cut french fries with catsup and a pickle on the side, made for the perfect meal!!!  Woman Tongue

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Super Contributor

I vaugley remember going to the corner soda fountain with my brother and he would get a cherry fizz soda.  I'd watch him drink and enjoy it and I wanted one so bad.  I think he paid .15 cents.  

Respected Contributor

Saturday mornings in the summer I would walk into town to the library with my older brother. On the walk home we would stop in the local department store counter. He always treated me to a beverage. I usually got a lime phosphate. I still have the best brother in the world. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN  You struck a memory with me mentioning the Woolworth's soda fountain.  Sometimes when we were shopping downtown, my mom would take my sister and me to the Woolworth's soda fountain.  Occasionally we would have milkshakes or some ice cream concoction, but sometimes we would just have sandwiches and soft drinks.  The neighborhood soda fountain was a treat to look forward to and back in the younger years of my childhood (the '50s), most of the neighborhood drugstores and Woolworths had some kind of soda fountain on the premises.  My favorite was the one at a small drugstore near the U of C campus. 

Respected Contributor

Oh the memories! Woolworths lunch counter was where we would have a green river ! 😋 Yum.

!

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl 

Green River Soda, Original Bottle, 1 liter 1 of 2

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

There was a corner drug stgre about a block away, the ice-man would deliver blocks of ice and leave it by the front door.  My sister, brother and I would sit on the blocks of ice and wait for the store to open, while waiting we would watch our coins get imbedded into the ice, when the store opened, we would get either a chocolate a cherry coke if we had enough money,.....Ahhh, the memories!