Honored Contributor

Your Memory Of Drugstore Soda Fountains

I was too young, and it was too far away, but we had a neighborhool soda fountain in our area of town.

Dad would get my DS and I a coke in those white paper cups with green trim.

I fell in love with "Betty and Veronica" because of the fashion discussed and I was reading anything and everything.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Memory Of Drugstore Soda Fountains

when i was in grade school one of my friend's family owned a drugstore with a soda fountain.....and when we played together we would always get a treat......needless to say....she was my favorite friend!!

Respected Contributor

A fountain coke with cherry was my favorite. The person behind the counter would put multiple pumps of the Coca Cola syrup and a pump of cherry flavoring, then add the carbonated water and stir with a long handled spoon. Those things were too good. When the dispenser type fountain drinks were introduced I could not believe how bad they tasted. I do not order soft drinks to this date, but I would gladly have one of the old time drinks.

The comic book display was at the end of the soda fountain bar. I guess they knew their customer base.

Honored Contributor

We had  a soda  fountain called " The Sugar Bowl."  You didn't  really go there unless you were in high school. It had wonderful wooden booths with  mirrors along the walls, they came in handy so you could  check  if you looked  cute, LOL.  It had a huge sandwich menu, but the sundaes and  sodas were the real draw.  If I had money for more than a Coke, my order was a Mexican sundae and maybe enough to play the jukebox.  I loved that place, it is long gone , but the memories live on. 😻

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have none because they were well before my time. However; my mom worked at one when she was a teenager. She was the eldest of 4 children and when her dad died when she was 14, she had to get a job and help out. The drugstore was the only place that would hire someone that young. As difficult as that time was, she had fond memories of the place. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

We had  a soda  fountain called " The Sugar Bowl."  You didn't  really go there unless you were in high school. It had wonderful wooden booths with  mirrors along the walls, they came in handy so you could  check  if you looked  cute, LOL.  It had a huge sandwich menu, but the sundaes and  sodas were the real draw.  If I had money for more than a Coke, my order was a Mexican sundae and maybe enough to play the jukebox.  I loved that place, it is long gone , but the memories live on. 😻

@QVCkitty1 

Your post took me away from being a child to being a teen where we had a "restaurant" called "Browns".  They had wonderful fried burgers with lettuce, tomato, and lettuce. 

He had an AMAZING potato salad that you would get in a tiny cup!  His fries were amazing and it was said they had sugar on them, more likely soaked in sugar water since sugar burns.

Unfortunately, the recipes are lost.

The tables had the flip charts for the juke box from our parent's days.  

No one, not a soul, equals that food!!!  There isn't a picture anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG   I remember there was one just a block from my high school.  You can imagine how crowded it was after school. I always got a Lime Sour with lots of salt.  I think that is where my addition to salt came from!  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG I live in north Mississippi and we currently have a drug store witha soda fountain right inside the front door.  It boasts tall green covered stools and a grape cow is always refreshing any day of the week.  You can purchase ice cream by the scoop and it has been a staple in our town since the early 1900's.  It is family owned and there are booths for the men to drink coffee at also.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn the popular soda fountain beverage was the chocolate egg cream. Boy was that yummy!! Haven't thought of it in like 40 years!! Memories!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@ECBG I live in north Mississippi and we currently have a drug store witha soda fountain right inside the front door.  It boasts tall green covered stools and a grape cow is always refreshing any day of the week.  You can purchase ice cream by the scoop and it has been a staple in our town since the early 1900's.  It is family owned and there are booths for the men to drink coffee at also.

i lived in MS for a year...1971....my husband was in pilot training at Columbus Air Force Base.......