Valued Contributor
Thankfully my best friend tells me the real truth about what looks good and what doesn't, and I do the same for her! It's taken me a long time to develop my personal style, but I'm comfortable with it, and I don't get too many of those "what the $&?! are you wearing???" looks too often! 😂
Contributor

There are lots of fashion rules - like do not  wear horizontal stripes if you are more than a size 0 (slight exaggeration.)

But (maybe I am crazy) I think it is more how you carry yourself  If you believe in how you look  most people will think as you do. 

Large ladies are not supposed to wear loud colors or prints.  Once at a party a rather large lady made an entrance in a loud print - she just felt so good.  And guess what - I think did most everyoe else thought that she looked great.  I never forgot that lesson.

Of course soe clothes are mosre flatterig thab othrs, but  just believe.

Honored Contributor

I think from years of choosing clothes that I generally do pretty well. Some times I do get a miss.  I bet everyone does!  I admit that my judgement might get clouded a bit if I come across a top that has such incredibly beautiful styling or colors that this is all I can see.  But then once I own the item and the glow has worn off, I see past how pretty the top is and see that it really doesn't flatter me as much as I thought.  

Some of my best pieces of clothing have turned out to be items that are things which really didn't totally "wow" me but which are of a more basic nature.  These I seem to wear a lot and accessorize differently.  

As for bottoms -- slacks, skirts --- I do much better with these.  I know pretty much exactly what works for me and what doesn't.

And for my way of thinking --- and the size of a person has no bearing on this at all --- fit is everything.  If a pair of trousers are way too tight or way too big, then that makes a person look bad and it doesn't matter how pretty the outfit is or how much it costs.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor
I recently bought a tunic top from QVC that I liked because of the color - mint green. I am only 5'4"' so I knew from the moment I hit the submit order button that this was a mistake. Everything I wear will get a compliment from at least one person, not so with this top. I put it on, knew it was wrong (came to my knees), wore it to an event and not one person said a word. My point - most of us know what looks good on us, but good sense doesn't always prevail.