Honored Contributor

Re: You can't trust online reviews

I'm glad I paid no attention, and I won't in future ,unless it is about sleeve length

Honored Contributor

I'd trust QVC's review much more if they were verified purchases, like Amazon and other sites do.

It irritates me to no end to bother reading a review like one I saw yesterday, "I'd never buy that ugly thing, it looks like my grandmother's tablecloth!"

Yeah....that was really helpful......and 5 seconds of my life I'll never get back after b

bothering to read it.

And a crafty feline rubs its paws together as though hatching an evil plan 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I think that with such large orders that Q places, with different factories, there may be slight variations with a knit or a woven fabric, & what seems to be true for a few purchasers may only represent a fraction of how many were bought totally.  I’m sure in an operation this large, a few “minor” problems are acceptable, although it isn’t fun when a sweater pills immediately, or in another case, the left side of a jacket was 2 inches longer than the right side.  That’s reason for the month return policy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I look at the star rankings kind-of like a bell curve.  I discard the outliers and pay more attention to the "average" ranking.  Then I read the reviews and the way that they're written reveals a lot.  Some just make me roll my eyes and move on.  Some are well-written, detailed, and informative.  If reviewers are pretty consistent in stating that an item runs small, or the fabric snags easily, or the colors are brighter than they appear on-screen, those are the kinds of things to which I pay attention.  

On these boards it has been noted how silly or annoying reviews can be.  For example, a top will have 3/4 length sleeves, then the reviewer will give it 1 star and complain because she doesn't like 3/4 length sleeves.  What the heck???  Or a person will order a peasant top and complain that it looks like a peasant top.  Sometimes someone will give a 1 star rating because the sweater is too hot for where they live in Arizona.  Well - it's not the sweater's fault that the reviewer lives in Arizona - it might be fine for someone living in Minnesota!  It also makes no sense to rate an item poorly because the color isn't flattering on you, because that's a very individual detail that may not be true for anyone else reading the reviews.

There was a period a few years ago when someone seemed to have a vendetta against Louis Del 'Olio.  I had left 2 reviews for his clothing.  One I gave 5 stars and somebody then clicked on "review was not helpful".  One I gave 3 stars and somebody clicked on "review was helpful".  It was odd because the quality of my reviews was the same.  So I scrolled down and realized that EVERY positive review was criticized, and every negative review was supported.  I went and checked out other Louis Del 'Olio items and the pattern held true.  All I can say is that somebody had way, way too much time on their hands!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pilling occurs because the item is made from inexpensive short fibers instead of more expensive long fibers. Cheaper fabric = pilling. It's the ends of the short fibers that stick out then if there is any friction they ball up = pilling.

Really some of you all should take some classes in clothing construction and fabrics. They have them in many fabric stores. It is very educational and saves you a lot of money in the end. You learn about how fabrics are made - how they are dyed - different terms used in the clothing and fabric industry and what they really mean. Also about how clothes are supposed to fit and how to construct clothing so it lasts over a long time. Also about caring for fine fabrics.

Honored Contributor

I remember reviews for a hand-held steamer that people were indignantly sending back saying that there were water drops in the compartment.

Both in the on air presentation as well as in the online description, it said that there would be water drops due to the testing of the item.  It was not because it had been used.

Accurate reviews can only come from accurate reviewers.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry   I find that most reviews are too generic.  "It's nice, and I like it."  That tells me nothing.  I want reviews when it comes to clothes and shoes to describe the fit, comfort, the more details, the better.  Yesterday, I purchased a Breezies bra and I forgot to read the reviews so I went back and then I cancelled my order because women were complaining about the wire coming through the fabric.  I ended up ordering a wireless bra instead.  Cat Very HappyCat Wink

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I bet that kitty cat is sweet.  With that worried little face, he deserves lots of love.  HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have had the same trouble with those bras, and I know it happens

I have never had any problems with my 2 sweaters. There isn't a pill on either of them.  I don't believe any of these posters. Other people posted how nice they are

I saved a huge amount on those sweaters, so it worked out for me. But, I don't want to see people pass up something they really want ,because of false  claims

I would never lie about something to  get back at Q ,or a vendor, and on the net, I am sure people do this stuff @Katcat1

Esteemed Contributor

I trust them, @cherry. I start from low rating. If the low ratings are exactly my concerns, I don't take a chance. 

If I see difference in opinions, I go by the numbers that like and dislike. Maybe some people don't have newer washers and dryers and the machines are eating their clothes alive and pilling. Maybe they wear a certain part of the clothing, like the elbow, and it pilled. 

I read reviews and put a lot of confidence in them.