Frequent Contributor

Yesterday's "Should Have Waited"

Ladies, about the lunchtime specials yesterday, today I entered the item numbers for the LG,  and they have quite a few sizes listed, yesterday said "sold out" on both LG items... Go Figure, more than twice as much today...   Thanks for all your input.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Yesterday's "Should Have Waited"

I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but quite often customers purchase an item, then later they have buyer's remorse and they cancel the item.  That can cause an item to be "sold out" and then a day or two later it's back in stock.

Honored Contributor

It's also been speculated that they only allocate a certain number of any given product to be sold at a special price of whatever type... Hence, the thinking is that more show up the next day at a higher price. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

It's also been speculated that they only allocate a certain number of any given product to be sold at a special price of whatever type... Hence, the thinking is that more show up the next day at a higher price. 

I think you may be correct @stevieb. An example is the D&B lunchtime special yesterday. When I checked around 2:30 PM Central time (with a half hour still to go on lunchtime specials), it appeared that the D&B was sold out because it was gone. So I searched for the product, and it came up, still at the lunchtime special price, and not sold out.

Honored Contributor

@ditzier wrote:

Ladies, about the lunchtime specials yesterday, today I entered the item numbers for the LG,  and they have quite a few sizes listed, yesterday said "sold out" on both LG items... Go Figure, more than twice as much today...   Thanks for all your input.

@ditzier - I've made a habit of noting the item number and price of LTS items I want when they say sold out.  More than once I've checked back after the specials are over (even the next day) and found the item in stock at a higher price.  I've called CS and explained and asked if they would honor the LTS price.  Admittedly, I've only done this a few times for things I really want, but they've always adjusted the price for me.  Think about it:  the LTS items are products they want to clear out.  It's worth a try.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I don't think the Q has any mechanism like that in place for LTS items.  I just think they set the price for those hours and, whatever's left over at the end reverts to a higher price.

I do think the problem comes into play when customers put an item in their cart and then don't buy it, but it doesn't get released back into stock for at least an hour later. 

There is also the issue of customers placing the order then cancelling at who knows how much later.

I think it must be a bit of a nightmare maintaining stock availability, given the Q's fairly lenient policies on these two issues.

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@ditzier wrote:

@ditzier - I've made a habit of noting the item number and price of LTS items I want when they say sold out.  More than once I've checked back after the specials are over (even the next day) and found the item in stock at a higher price.  I've called CS and explained and asked if they would honor the LTS price.  Admittedly, I've only done this a few times for things I really want, but they've always adjusted the price for me.  Think about it:  the LTS items are products they want to clear out.  It's worth a try.

I've done the same for LTS and TSV when they are either sold out completely, or my size/color is not available.  Later the same or next day one usually pops back in. CS has always adjusted the price for me as well.