Honored Contributor

Re: YOUR MOST NOT WANTED GIFT

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

I wouldn't want any of the gifts you mentioned either. 

My least favorite gifts over the years were coffee mugs & scarves since I use neither. One year someone gave me pierced earrings, but I never wear earrings and don't have pierced ears. I'm not a fan of candles, perfumes, & scented bath & body products because of my asthma. 

I really don't want people buying me gifts. If there's something I want I will buy it myself. I am picky about what I like. I appreciate the sentiment and thank them graciously, but I usually end up donating or regifting items to someone else who would like the items. My family stopped giving gifts many years ago, but I still have a couple of friends who insist on gift giving. 

Honored Contributor

Wow. I'm certainly not uppity when it comes to receiving gifts. I love anything someone takes the time to pick out for me. I am ever so grateful that they even thought of me. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I got a good laugh out of this, some very funny responses.   For me I am like @wilma .....

I like what I like and would rather shop for myself.  That being said, first things that came to mind was perfume (NEVER) throws(have more than I need) and any kind of artwork (as I am very picky about my decor).   And that poo pouri.....that's a whole other story,(don't even) LOL.

Super Contributor

don't give me anything like cooking pans, air fryers. That's a family gift, and not a for me gift.  Also nick nacks. I have enough and very picky on what I like.

Hubby and I do like food gifts from others. We never buy gift baskets or food gifts. So it's a nice treat when someone sends us a special treat that we wouldn't buy for ourselves.

Years ago when our son's were toddlers. for Mother's day Hubby bought me a tool set. I was not happy! But you know after I started using it for stuff around the house. It turned out to be one of the best ever gifts! We both use it at least once a week. I keep it under the sink and the only thing I have ever replaced on it was the tool box.

Respected Contributor

I don't like getting gifts that I do not use like scarves, pins, cheap jewelry that make my neck green, etc.  I would rather get gift cards to Starbucks, Target, fast food places, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

No wrenches please.

Respected Contributor

Anything scented and throws.  Oherwise I'm happy they thought of me and I can always donated the scents and throws to someone who likes them.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Wow. I'm certainly not uppity when it comes to receiving gifts. I love anything someone takes the time to pick out for me. I am ever so grateful that they even thought of me. Heart

@ID2 So do you put all these things out for display?  Dust them, keep them out for display so the giver knows you use it, move them around? Donate them?  Use the cups you don't like or don't have room for?  Eat whatever you are given?

Can you get rid of things you don't want or can't use without any pangs of guilt?  I'm just curious about what happens when you get it.  

Do you think many gifts like this are re-gifted?  Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

from my Ex i received a jigsaw one year as a gift and another year a cordless screwdiver.   but he also gave me jewelry gifts and scatchy lacey nightgowns.

the jigsaw was fun. i carved out wooden swans and ducks to use as decor (this was the '80s when ducks were popular)  

Honored Contributor

Nobody I know would ever give me any of those items.  I can't say I ever thought about gifts I wouldn't want to receive.  Seems like a strange thing to think about?