Super Contributor
When did liking nice things become anything about being vain and shallow? I do not necessarily dislike Jill, but I do often find her to be condescending.
Super Contributor
On 2/27/2014 sparklestar said:

Just words, talk ... sales tactic.

+1

Contributor

Before she turned 40, people commented on how old she looked and dressed. Since then, she started wearing more expensive clothes. She cares what people think. She can say she isn't shallow but....

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/27/2014 Nancy Drew said:

Jill loves her labels and high end brand names so I find that odd that she said that.

A person can love nice expensive items, it does not have to define them. Others are all about their material goods.

Esteemed Contributor

Jill spends mega bucks on her on-air wardrobe. They generally do not flatter, IMO. For example: the two tone leather top worn in her silver show. Complimented neither the jewelry nor her.

Respected Contributor
On 2/27/2014 Raider Fan said: I dunno, I rather believe her. She is a no nonsense gal and has never appeared to me as pretentious or vain.

Not pretentious? "Here's my expensive John Hardy bracelet my husband paid a lot of money for. QVC brought you an affordable version. I like it as much as I like my designer one."

Yeah, right.

Super Contributor

I think it is easy to forget that all these hosts are simply sales people. I have no doubt that the more sales they bring in to QVC the better for them in renewing their own contract periodically. And one way to increase their sales is to make a connection with the viewer--so we get the personal stories, the Facebook posts, etc. The more they can be seen as friends and as people we connect with the greater the chance for a sale. I don't dislike Jill..I think she's a good host. She can preach at times in my opinion. I don't begrudge her the nice things she has..I have plenty of those myself and everyone should spend their money the way they choose. My taste is clothes is different from hers so I usually would not make the same fashion choices she does. But that's the beauty of variety. I do know that, with a few exceptions, the hosts don't wear the clothes, jewels, etc that they ooh and ahh over at QVC. I do think some of them believe themselves to be celebrities and some simply act superior. At the end of the day--it's their job to create a persona that can make the sale. That is how they earn a living.

Valued Contributor
On 2/28/2014 colliegirls said:
On 2/27/2014 Nancy Drew said:

Jill loves her labels and high end brand names so I find that odd that she said that.

A person can love nice expensive items, it does not have to define them. Others are all about their material goods.

I like your comment. I just got home from church, and I saw my 80 year old friend in the parking lot. He is the most humble man I have ever met. Last summer, he bought himself a Bentley. I noticed him getting into it, and I had a WOW! look on my face. He looked so embarrassed because he's not a show off- he just likes nice things!

There's nothing wrong with owning nice/expensive things. It's how you let it define you. He played the whole thing down so much when I made a fuss over his new "luxury" car. He has spent most of his retirement volunteering/helping others. He realizes what's important! I'm happy for him! He gets it!

Respected Contributor

I don't believe it for one second.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor
She has two expensive Cartier watches. Good for her.