Honored Contributor

Ladies, the reason they want models that are stick thin is because that is what shows the cut of a piece of clothing better.  When you get into a woman's build, the garmet fits around those curves and  creates a visual distortion.

When they start adding models with curves, if you don't look like that person, you're unable to tell the fit.

In a store the clothes are on a hanger and you evaluate the cut and drape of the item.

I designed clothes in college.  Our fit models were straight up and down.

Respected Contributor

Wouldn't it be awesome if they could have one model for every size?  Seriously, I wear a small or medium and I hardly EVER see a model wearing that size!  It's always the xxs and the 1x or 2x sizes being shown.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the XXS models dont look good in the clothing because the are wearing a size to two sizes too small, its the style.  To look like you have your little sisters clothes on.  I see this in men clothing too.

I am not an apple shape or a pear shape or curvy.  My shape is beer keg, weight is below the girls and above the thighs, hence beer keg.Woman Frustrated  Therefore no models my shape.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@q-girl

"most REAL WOMEN are not size XXS and cannot judge how the clothes will look on their self by looking at an XXS or XS model. And if you can, God bless you. What is your secret?"

QVC sizes are "vanity" sizes.

Age 68...

I am 5'7 120lbs soaking wet.  Dry I can go up to 125lbs during the winter.whistling.gif

Q size - xxs or xs ( haven't been those sizes since I was a fetus.whistling.gif)

Dept store - 7/8 (summer) 9/10 (winter)

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Take it as a "hint" ladies......

If the models are not displaying your size, then the clothing item is NOT for you.

In your opinion only..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

I don't mean to pick a fight here.  However, I have noticed in the past year that the number of 1X and 2X models as well as "large" have increased really significantly.  On the shows I watch, they are shown in every outfit.  Frankly, in the early days of QVC the clothing looked much better on the models than now.  Maybe the "anybody lounge" folks picked their models. On Leah's program that's not the case; on Isaac's shows that not the cse.

I have to say i disagree.....they have introduced a new model Ronnie who wears a 1X....the one girl with red hair was at times a 1X or XL who took maternity leave...sorry i don't remember her name....there has never been a 2X model that i have seen and i have watched for years......

They have hired about 2 more Large models.....but at least i would say 2/3 of the models are either XS,XXS or S.....and 5'10"...........I know Louis and Bob Mackie seem to always have the dark haired Maria on their shows..she is at times a XL or 1X..............and i think Isaac used to often have the red haired 1X model on his show...so sometimes a 1X model is shown...but not that often....of course they are always 5'10 in height which is much different from a short plus size woman wearing the same

outfits....and i laugh when i see the photos they show of the THREE different sizes wearing the same outfit....it is so obviously a photo composed to make it look complimentary on the larger sizes....

Esteemed Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

Wouldn't it be awesome if they could have one model for every size?  Seriously, I wear a small or medium and I hardly EVER see a model wearing that size!  It's always the xxs and the 1x or 2x sizes being shown.

I agree about the XXS sizes (and 5'10"tall).....but there are only maybe two actual 1X models(not on very often although the new Ronnie is one of them and she has been on quite a bit lately) ......there are only a couple XL

and a couple L...............and i agree they just have a couple medium models also....never a 2X though.....and LOTS of XXS and XS models...

Super Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Ladies, the reason they want models that are stick thin is because that is what shows the cut of a piece of clothing better.  When you get into a woman's build, the garmet fits around those curves and  creates a visual distortion.

When they start adding models with curves, if you don't look like that person, you're unable to tell the fit.

In a store the clothes are on a hanger and you evaluate the cut and drape of the item.

I designed clothes in college.  Our fit models were straight up and down.

@ECBG . . . . .    These are all excellent points, and I agree with what you say. I have not been trained in design, but I can understand what you are saying.

As consumers, and as a plus size woman, I would like to see the garment on a tall, thin model for the reasons you stated, and to see how the designer meant for the garment to look. But I would also like to see how I can expect the garment to look on someone shaped somewhat like me - a true plus size, not a large or XL.

Perhaps, instead of having two or three or more of the XXS/XS models and one larger model on a show, it could be more appropriately divided into one, maybe two of the XXS or XS models, a size M or L model, a L or XL model, an XL or 1X model and a true plus size 2X or 3X model. Same number of models, better size representation. As they do now, not every model needs to show every garment. Just a thought.

Hugs . . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Super Contributor

I would, however, like to say that most of the models, whatever their size are very beautiful. Deanna, Amanda, Ellen, Amy, Meredith, Jacki, Bonnie, Adrianne, Kate, and others we just adore. And one of the somewhat newer plus size models, Machanda, is a gorgeous, sexy  woman who always looks great in whatever she models.

Hugs . . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

@q-girl,I know.  It certainly is a two edged sword so to speak.

Ideally, the consumer is left to balance the size and shape of each of their areas from the shape of the model and know how much fabric is added for each size and work with the given measurents.  

I know it's hard.  I deal with it every day as the top stylist where I am.

The best advice I can give is to use a tailor so everything looks great on you.  One perfect item takes the place of 10 that are "good enough".