Trusted Contributor
On 2/18/2015 cjmcp said:

When the Q first added XL it was actually in-between L and 1X which was great for me. But lately, there is little difference between XL & 1X. A few differences I have found to be fairly consistent which you may want to take into account depending on your particular body issues are: (1) the length - 1X is usually a little longer; (2) 1X usually has a little extra room through the mid-section; (3) though there is often very little difference in the chest measurement I frequently find the shoulders too broad and don't hang right if I size up to 1X. I have also found some lines run bigger than others. Denim & Co tends to run bigger so I'll usually go with the XL but typically take a 1X in Linea. The reviews will help you here. Of course, it also depends on whether you like your garments to fit close or roomy. Also, be sure to take fabrication into account; some fabrics drape more than others and you may need to allow for shrinkage if the cotton content is high. The inconsistency is all very frustrating and I find myself taking a "pass" more often than not. Good luck and hope I didn't just muddy the waters more.

I am between an XL and 1X and DITTO everything cjmcp just said. Spot on!

Trusted Contributor

There is an overlap between the upper end of "Missy" sizing and the lower end of "Plus" sizing. I generally expect plus sizes to be proportioned to fit an overall rounder, fuller body shape, regardless of body size/weight. However, there are differences in different clothing lines, so there's some trial and error involved.

Valued Contributor

In department stores, 1x tends to be a bit wider and shorter than xl much of the time. That isn't a rule, of course, but something I've noticed often. When I was heavier, I skipped 1x altogether on the way down and went straight from 2x down to xl. Sometimes the 1x is narrow through the shoulders and really wide through the waist; the exact opposite of my body type.

Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2015 rhinovodka said:

I always thought that XL was cut a bit smaller than 1x. I know in regular stores, there seems to be a difference between a 16 misses vs. 16 womens (the misses is usually cut a bit smaller), maybe that is just in numbered sizes though. I am not sure about the Q though because I usually order L or XL.

I used to work for Talbots, and there is a big difference between 16M and 16W. The 16W is more like an 18M-20M. The 1X at Talbots is cut wider in the arms, legs and waist than the XL. I don't know if the same holds true for QVC, but Talbots measurements are close to what other department store brands are.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

That's an XLent question.

Contributor

Thank you for all the replies. Lots of good advice here.

Honored Contributor
On 2/18/2015 brewhaha said:

That's an XLent question.

good one!