Contributor

I know this has probably been explained before but if so, I missed it. I'm sometimes torn between which of these sizes to order. Sometimes, but not always, when I look at the 'click here' garment measurements on the description page, the XL measurements are slightly larger than the 1X measurements. Have any of the hosts ever explained how this can be? Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor
Yes, I find that to be trus. I was considering ordering a LInea skirt recently. The reviews said it ran large. I normally wear a 1x in LInea. When I looked at the click here measurements the XL was bigger in the waist and hips then the 1x. As a result I ordered nothing due to the new shipping refund policy.
Honored Contributor
Most confusing subject EVER. Somewhere in ancient history, "misses" sizes could run from 12-24, proportionally similar as actual sizes increased, shorter waisted, "half" sizes ran 12 1/2-24 1/2 cut larger in shoulders, bust, waist, and hips and longer waisted. As these sizes morphed to current sizing, they became sort of a "depends on manufacturer" issue. The Q is not consistent to any specs that I can figure out, so the XL-1X ladies are somewhere in "No-Woman's Land" at this size. Also should add, waist and hip measurements can be different or the same for both sizes, but rise is fuller in 1X. Or then again, maybe not.......
Respected Contributor
The arm circumference is often smaller in the 1x as well. I lost a ton(pun!) Of weight Nd my arms didn't snap back no matter how much h I work out. I always make sure of that measurement. I like a little extra room there if possible. I notice in Susan Graver tank and jacket sets,the tank is often bigger in the chest. Arrgggh! How does this ever make sense?
Trusted Contributor
The sleeve length of tops is always longer in XL, which is why I order that size.
Honored Contributor

I never look at garment measurements, that seems weird to me. I go by body measurements. The XL and 1X are basically the same size. The XL waist and hip measurement is sometimes an inch smaller than the 1X. I think it's a vanity thing, some women don't like the idea of wearing an X size.

Valued Contributor

The thing to realize is that there are NO size standards among apparel manufacturers. None at all. Each manufacturer decides what measurements will be used for each size. I have relatives in then fashion industry, and it has been this way for decades, and there's no sign that this will ever change. Do they do this for vanity sizing? Maybe. Is it to save money and scrimp on fabric? Sometimes yes. But one thing is for certain -- it's very confusing and really irritating when you're trying to figure out what size you truly are. Just open your closet and look at all the sizes of clothing you've got in there. I'll bet that no one's closet is filled with clothing in all one size. The only thing the hosts can do is to point out that an article of clothing runs large or runs small, and that rarely happens.

Valued Contributor

I always thought that XL was cut a bit smaller than 1x. I know in regular stores, there seems to be a difference between a 16 misses vs. 16 womens (the misses is usually cut a bit smaller), maybe that is just in numbered sizes though. I am not sure about the Q though because I usually order L or XL.

Honored Contributor

I look at it this way. Now I have a backup size to go to if my original is gone. I think QVC added XL's years ago.

Frequent Contributor

When the Q first added XL it was actually in-between L and 1X which was great for me. But lately, there is little difference between XL & 1X. A few differences I have found to be fairly consistent which you may want to take into account depending on your particular body issues are: (1) the length - 1X is usually a little longer; (2) 1X usually has a little extra room through the mid-section; (3) though there is often very little difference in the chest measurement I frequently find the shoulders too broad and don't hang right if I size up to 1X. I have also found some lines run bigger than others. Denim & Co tends to run bigger so I'll usually go with the XL but typically take a 1X in Linea. The reviews will help you here. Of course, it also depends on whether you like your garments to fit close or roomy. Also, be sure to take fabrication into account; some fabrics drape more than others and you may need to allow for shrinkage if the cotton content is high. The inconsistency is all very frustrating and I find myself taking a "pass" more often than not. Good luck and hope I didn't just muddy the waters more.