Valued Contributor

Writing reviews when fit is an issue

I hope this isn't too controversial a topic, but I get stumped when attempting to write a review when the fit of the garment doesn't work. It seems to me that if a garment is attractive and well made, I should rate it highly. But when the fit proportions are totally wrong, should I still be saying something is great?

For example, nearly all Linea tank tops have extremely oversized armholes in my sizes of XL and 1X. I feel that sizing is important in the "quality" of clothing, so this business of armholes which show the entire sides of the bra is unacceptable. My Linea tanks that are at least two years old do not have this greatly oversized problem. Now, Linea is not the only line at QVC that has this problem, so QVC specs seem to be the problem. But I don't see anyone dealing with the problem, so shouldn't the reviews be strongly negative to get attention to the issue?

I guess it's the number of stars that's the concern.

Super Contributor

Re: Writing reviews when fit is an issue

I would probably deduct a ""star"" in the rating and in my review mention the problem you had with the over-sized armholes to alert other buyers to check the measurements.

Honored Contributor

What would you want to know if you were a customer considering the purchase of the garment? That is, after all, the purpose of a review so you should of course mention anything that could be a problem. Why would you not?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

If you can't wear the garment then it should rate only 1 star (because you can't give 0 stars).

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Valued Contributor

I would always want fit info. If fit made you return the item it MUST be mentioned I think. Mark the stars down as you please. We're all adults and can figure out what has a reviewer steamed and it will sway us or not. For example, I have a lot of Linea tanks. However I absolutely never wear them without a jacket. I buy and wear them because they are cooler in the hot months under jackets and toppers and don't make for extra bulk down the sleeve of my jackets. So I totally don't care about the size of the armhole on tanks. But I also totally understand your beef and wouldn't trust your reviewing skills if you didn't mention this defect in your view.

Another example. I never purchase dresses from Louis because he makes them - again probably these are Q specs - WAY too short for me. But because I know this, and have studied the "click here" measurements, if I bought one anyway - knowing it would be too short - well, then I wouldn't be on reviewing that the dress was too short. BUT if I DID read the measurements and was lead to believe in the presentation that it was "longer" well then I would be complaining in the review after treking to the post office to return it.

Does that make sense? I'm on my laptop and am never sure I'm making as much sense as I tend to do on my usual keyboard Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

...this is exactly why I pay no attention whatsoever to product reviews.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/30/2014 chrystaltree said:

...this is exactly why I pay no attention whatsoever to product reviews.

ITA
Trusted Contributor

If you think you just bought the wrong size but still think the quality is good then I would say that and would rate it 4 or 5 stars.

If there is an issue with the sizing - you bought 2 of the same item and one fits and one doesn't - that is a construction & quality control issue so I would mark it down and say that.

If there is some flaw, like the armholes aren't constructed correctly, I wouldn't give it more than one star & would describe the issue.

Esteemed Contributor

I may have to disagree here. Just because a garment doesn't fit me well enough to wear right out of the bag I won't give one star. In the review the fit issues can be explained. I take into account that at 5'5"/100lbs) not many garments from a lot of places are going to fit me with total satisfaction without some alterations. I also accept that I am smaller than QVC's XXS, therefore most of their clothes will have a fit issue on me (and no, I don't order many clothes from QVC). However, if the garment is made of a nice fabric, well constructed with quality tailoring, and is everything I expected that is stated in my reviews, and I feel justified giving a four star rating.

Respected Contributor

I often have issues with armholes no matter where I purchase a tank. That's not important to me since I would never wear a tank by itself. I would probably rate that item high if I liked everything other than the armhole sizing, but I would certainly mention it in the write up. The write up is much more important to me than what the rating is. I've seen plenty of very positive reviews with a 3 rating.