Respected Contributor

Re: Would you wear sneakers with a dress or skirt?

A solid slip-on sneaker or a ked, yes

Contributor

I love all of your replies. Thank you to all who put their two-cents worth in. I do value your input. I may give this a try, especially after some of the luxury sneakers I've seen so far, including Blowfish. I appreciate the photos too. Very classy looking.
Honored Contributor

I don’t care for that look. For me, even a casual dress or skirt requires footwear that flatters the legs. But sneakers don’t, IMO.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

At one time, I wouldn't.  But I have two bone on bone knees and will wear any shoes that don't hurt my feet or make my knees feel worse.

It is better to wear practical shoes that are comfortable, than shoes you can't comfortably walk in. For many, that shoe is a sneaker. 

Women are known for wearing uncomfortable shoes, but not men.  They don'the feed into the silly fashion hype.

@Carmie 

My boys are executives.  They, like their momma, all have bunions.  They know from experience that beauty knows no pain and so they do not wear sneakers.  They never, never, ever, ever wear sneakers except to jog and take treadmill tests.

@Nonametoday, does this mean that they'd rather suffer to look good? Or am totally missing it?

@Nonametoday   I am 65.  I have no bunions, corns or calluses, or toenail fungus.  My natural feet look pretty good for feet.  I have never worn uncomfortable shoes, even when I was younger.  

Beauty knows no pain doesn't fly with me.  of course, I look for nice shoes so that I present myself well, but the bottom line is...no way will I suffer. And, I can walk in my bare feet and look attractive.  I have been known to pay hundreds for comfortable shoes.

My father was crippled with polio.  A brother and a sister both have had several surgeries  on their feet due to severe accidents and I wore ugly corrective  shoes as a child.  We all learned through experience that it is better to wear comfortable shoes, even if they are not in fashion.  

BTW, I have never worn sneakers.  They actually hurt my feet.

@Carmie   Like me, sneakers hurt their feet but also they would never wear sneakers with their dress attire.  They would not sacrifice their careers for ugly, painful footwear.

Honored Contributor

I’ve never done it, but might consider wearing a not too athletic looking sneaker if I had a casual t-shirt dress or denim skirt. Problem is I don’t own any dresses or skirts that are that casual.

I have plenty of nice dresses I wear each weekend since I am the soloist in my church choir. I wear ballet flats or low heels with my dresses if I am not in the mood for higher heels (which seems to be the case more often than not as I have aged.) 

Respected Contributor

I work in a very casual office and use a stand up desk. I wear a lot of sneakers. With skirts and dresses, I prefer some slip on canvas sneakers.

As far as dressing for the job I want, my boss, our CFO, wore golf shirts and flip flops all summer.
Honored Contributor

Not on purpose. I have done many a time back in the day when I was taking Metro to and from work. Suits and dresses with sneakers and then change into "office/work shoes" when you arrived at work.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It would depend on the dress or skirt and the sneakers, but as a general rule, no, I wouldn't. Heels are not mandatory, but there is a middle ground and there are flats, lower heels or even an espadrille type shoe that would work. While I know there are elements of society that consider athletic shoes a fashion statement, I'm not among that ilk. I have them and I wear them, but mostly with jeans or shorts.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Sure.  I think the easiest way to try out the look is with a lightweight, fairly playful, low top sneaker.   I'd like this sparkly rose gold sneaker with a short or long denim skirt, among other looks:

81gkja7WNIL._UX575_.jpg

This mom and daughter look so cute!

Chet-and-Suri-1440x1920.jpg

The one type I would stay away from with dresses are the super heavy, clunky athletic silhouettes.  But that's just me.  Especially at my age--  I may have surgery-prone, orthopedically sad little feet, but prefer them not to look that way!

But slim, whimsical, fleet-foot sneakers-- why not?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

At one time, I wouldn't.  But I have two bone on bone knees and will wear any shoes that don't hurt my feet or make my knees feel worse.

It is better to wear practical shoes that are comfortable, than shoes you can't comfortably walk in. For many, that shoe is a sneaker. 

Women are known for wearing uncomfortable shoes, but not men.  They don'the feed into the silly fashion hype.

@Carmie 

My boys are executives.  They, like their momma, all have bunions.  They know from experience that beauty knows no pain and so they do not wear sneakers.  They never, never, ever, ever wear sneakers except to jog and take treadmill tests.

@Nonametoday, does this mean that they'd rather suffer to look good? Or am totally missing it?

@suzyQ3  - There's probably a dress code at work that they are not allowed to wear sneakers.