Honored Contributor

Re: Would you have clothing altered if...........

No

If it doesn't fit me I don't buy it, tailoring costs too much and I don't pay a lot for my clothing.  Sale only

I could hem a garment myself I need to

Respected Contributor

I get stuff altered often. It makes a real difference in how an item fits.  If you really love it, you will love  it more if it fits beautifully.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely.  I do it all the time and have no choice because of my body shape.  I generally have to have the waist of pants taken in because they are always too big.

I often have to have the arm holes of sleeveless items altered smaller and tops of dresses smaller, depending on the style of dress.

Respected Contributor

Slacks :    have had to have several shortened as either they got longer or I got shorter.   LOL

Long floaty dress:  fell in love with this dress at Chico's when it was clearance priced.  Only problem is that it was a " 4 " and I needed it in a " 3 " so I had it fitted by a seamstress.  The price she charged ended up being twice what was quoted....turned out that it was fully lined ( twice the work and thus the price ).  I was very happy with the dress, especially since the tailoring was covered by what I " saved " on the clearance price !!!!!!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The clothing sizes and cuts of any size are made to fit as many people as possible with no regard whatsoever for body types.   They are bound to be "off" if you buy it off the rack.  

The best dressed woman I know takes EVERYTHING to her tailor for tweaks.    She always looks fabulous.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom always said "fit is everything."  I wouldn't hesitate to take something I loved to a tailor for a custom fit, but it's costly, so I don't do it often.  Plus, some things work out the way I think they will and some things don't.   I can do minor tweaks myself.

Do you have an idea of how much it will cost you?  You seem to have strong feelings about the item, so it might be worth a try.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

Yes, I would.  I have always altered my clothes.  Don't claim to be anywhere near an expert seamstress and the way I alter doesn't look pretty on the inside, but it holds up just fine, and makes a big difference in the way I look and feel.

Valued Contributor

Well I did it! I ordered the jacket. Its ISAAC A272713 peplum leather in peach. I love love love that jacket. I saw one years ago made by a Te rri someone one another channel and it was just gorgeous. Now my favorite color is pink but right now I am loving the morganite jewelry and rose gold. Anyhow I ordered three of them. One size maybe, 2nd size maybe and the third size definitly too big. My problem is that I have a petite bone structure (small shoulders) but very large busted and being somewhat overweight. So when the shoulders fit the bust area won't and when the bust area fits the shoulders are way way too long. I need to loose weight!!!! But I have to have this jacket and that is all there is too it. I have to find a good tailor that can work on leather for me.

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

I have several skirts that are lovely, but are also too long. It will be totally worth my paying to have them altered.

So, no new skirts this summer; I'll finally wear the ones I already bought.

Honored Contributor

Alterations are pricey around here, so I don't buy anything that needs them.  If that isn't an issue for you, go for it.  Buy what you love.