Valued Contributor

Would you have clothing altered if...........

If you loved an article of clothing sooooo much and wanted it no matter what, but could not get the proper fit, would you order a larger size in order to have it altered to fit. I get so tired of buying this top and that skirt and this jacket and those slacks and never gettting a proper fit. I want to buy something so bad and I want to have it customed to me instead of trying to get size after size or having to order 4 sizes. I never want something that bad but I do now. Would you do this if you were me and you wanted it that bad. I dont know what to do.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you have clothing altered if...........

Yes, absolutely!  There is no enjoyment as much as the peace of mind you get when you are wearing something that fits perfectly!  You look great and feel great!

If you get good clothes, you're protecting your investment!

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely.  My mother was a fantastic seamstress, she learned how to sew and cook in Germany where she was born and raised.  My sister and I were so lucky to have her as a mother for many reasons and making clothes for us was one of them.

Because of it I was spoiled and later in life I found an ad in the throw away paper from a young lady who just graduated from design school and called her.  She made several dresses and suits for me as well as altering some that needed it.  There is nothing like having your clothing fit your body the way it should.  You walk straighter and taller while feeling real good.  Go for it, you won't be sorry.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely I would.  I have clothing altered all the time.   I have recently lost some weight and am having things altered.  I am very fussy about the way my clothes fit especially if they are too big.  I am a Plus size and very conscious of how I look in the clothing I wear.

Esteemed Contributor

I am lucky because I AM a seamstress....LOL

Minor alterations can really make a difference in the way your clothes will feel.

Honored Contributor

I learned to sew when I was in high school. I took a class and loved it and am glad I learned. I've never had anything altered, I've only done it myself. Its so easy. No, when I buy a new article of clothing I buy it to fit not to take it home and hope that it will fit me "perfect". Clothes are too expensive now-a-days to hope you can get a perfect fit out of it.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't alter something more than one size--two sizes max.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am lucky because I AM a seamstress....LOL

Minor alterations can really make a difference in the way your clothes will feel.

Alterations make a difference in how clothes feel and how they look. My son has a suit that was altered to fit him and there is nothing else he own that looks as good on him as that suit. A good fit and style for your body makes a tremendous difference in how clothes look. I would buy fewer clothes and spend money on getting the proper fit and style instead of wearing  ill-fitting clothes. With all the videos online, I am sure those of us who do not know how to alter could learn.

It is very difficult to ge a proper fit buying clothing off a rack.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've paid for minor alterations (hem length, sleeve length) when I really wanted an item and I thought it was worth it. It might be for a special occasion (wedding, for example). Or if the item itself justified the cost (a nice jacket or coat).

But big alterations might not work out. The item might turn out differently that expected and be disappointing. 

If you're really frustrated and think this is a possible solution, I'd say it might be worth a try. I'd get estimates or a price list first from a good tailor. Then try it on one item and see how it turns out. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I would.

It can make all the difference in the world.