Honored Contributor

Re: Would you have clothing altered if...........

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Absolutely.  My mother was a fantastic seamstress, she learned how to sew and cook in Germany where she was born and raised.  My sister and I were so lucky to have her as a mother for many reasons and making clothes for us was one of them.

Because of it I was spoiled and later in life I found an ad in the throw away paper from a young lady who just graduated from design school and called her.  She made several dresses and suits for me as well as altering some that needed it.  There is nothing like having your clothing fit your body the way it should.  You walk straighter and taller while feeling real good.  Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Ditto! My classically trained German mother in law just dropped off a couple pairs of my pants lol. I feel very fortunate to have her and I've even considered buying some tops that I like that have a ridiculously long length and possibly having her turn them into a much shorter Aline but I haven't done it yet

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every season, I am at the tailors every week picking up last week's alternations and being pinned for this week's alternations.

I am 5'4" and a 32F/G/H (depending on the brand).  If I want a dress, I have to buy a size larger to accommodate my chest and then have the sides/hips taken in a bit.  I also have to have most dresses hemmed as the best look for me is just at the top of my knee.   Anything mid-knee or lower accentuates my hips and makes me look dumpy.  I can normally get away with a Petite pencil skirt without having to have it hemmed.

Same thing with jackets.  I have to have the sleeves taken up about an inch otherwise I look dumpy with the sleeves halfway down my hands.  I don't "do" the scrunched up look like they show on QVC.

All pants and jeans have to be hemmed.

It really doesn't cost that much for me.  I think jeans and unlined pants are $10 to hem, jackets are $6 if they are unlined $10 if they are lined.

My 3 fashion musts:

- proper fitting/size foundations

- proper size clothing fitting the largest part of my body (hips and chest)

- tailor just about everything

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 Must be a VA thing (LOL) because I am also full-busted (same alpha but larger numeric than you).  All of my jackets and dresses must be altered because I have to buy to fix the bust  but then the sleeves, waist and hips must be taken in.  I am fortunate in that my seamtress was also a sculptor and she does excellent work.  Her husband is a shoe cobbler and does horse saddle repair and other leather work  

@Junker2327 Hopefully this reply doesn't get wiped out as my other three attempts. My advise to you is to make sure you get a tailor or seamtress who does EXCELLLENT work  Ask around for a recommendation from someone who has had complex alterations done (something other than hemmings, shortening sleeves, adding facings to lengthen sleeves/pants, etc).  My seamstress literally re-made a pair of leather pants I bought two sizes too large many years ago and they were perfectly altered.  It cost a lot to have them altered but a lot of work was required.  Some clothes you buy are investment pieces and some may be budget/ items--  I think the only consideration should be if you like something enough to have it altered to fit you.  I like your leather jacket. Good luck with the alterations!  

BTW, it was Terri Lewis whom you were trying to recall.  It was her leather pants that I had altered.  I wish she were still around-- her leather garments were very well made. 

Honored Contributor

Based on personal experience, I would be unlikely to have something altered if it did not fit. I just don't buy clothing that fits poorly.

It is just too expensive to have things altered; When asking about getting things altered I have been told more than once by a seamstress that it would cost a lot more to alter the item than it is worth. 

If the clothing "almost" fits and just needs very simple tweaks I can see having it altered but it would have to be a very special & high quality article of clothing for me to consider it. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that a proper fit makes all the difference.  While I am pretty much off the rack and most would think the garmets look great and fit, to my eye it is never quite right. A little pinch in the waist, 1/2 extra let out at the bust, 1/4 inch up or down on the sleeve, or on pants, etc. makes a HUGE difference in the way something looks.  I have almost everything tailored to fit perfectly.

Super Contributor

A lot of Qvc's fashions have the princess seams and I would think that would not be easy to have tailored.  I had a cotton/modal top shortened once and the drape was not the same; hated it and ended up throwing it away.  Getting pants taken in is easy enough provided there is no side zipper...had a tailor really destroy a pair of pants because she didn't know what she was doing.  

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am lucky because I AM a seamstress....LOL

Minor alterations can really make a difference in the way your clothes will feel.

@Nataliesgramma I envy your talent! 

I have to have every.single.piece.of.clothing (pants) I buy tailored.  Nothing ever fits. But a perfectly tailored piece makes all the difference in the world. 

Frequent Contributor

I do that with jeans.  Since I order online many of them are 32" long so I have them altered to 30".  I've done it with a few tops I really liked.  I ordered a size up and had them hemmed or taken in.  I found someone that does alterations inexpensively so it works for me. Hope this helps.