Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you buy new clothes packaged in garbage bags?

@Stray wrote:
I don’t think it’s demeaning to the homeless. He is outrageous & it’s his gimmick. The fact is that The Gap accepted them, displays them and they are selling out.

Personally, I like shopping online and don’t want my clothing handled. I’ve had no problem with QVC merchandise & all of my packages come sealed & Ive shopped QVC for many years. I don’t buy “as is”. Nordstrom is my other go to store & no issues. So I’m certainly not going to shop out of a “construction bag” as he calls it.

The product is selling out so purchasers don’t mind. One customer at an interview stated “it was fun”

I don’t think a homeless person is worried about being insulted but concentrating on where they will sleep tonight, their next meal or safety issues.

Yeah, @Stray the Gap wants to earn money too.  This also says something about the Gap that they would allow this foolishness on behalf of Kanye non designing West.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

So is Kanye appropriating the homeless culture? 🤔 Is he profiting off the plight of homeless people? Is he bringing attention to the homeless problem in this country or doing anything to help? 
He just comes across as self absorbed and entitled to me. I could possibly have more respect for him if he created a line of clothing and donated 100% of his profits to a homeless charity. Or if he just created a charitable foundation that actually helped the homeless people he is so "inspired" by. Until Kanye walks his talk, I have no time for him. 

Respected Contributor

The Gap has been on its way into bankruptcy now for over a year...this should finish them off. I can look through a trash bag for clothing in a dumpster. Kanye has no real fashion designer skills, just cache to a certain crowd, of which I am not a member, fortunately.

Super Contributor

I can't judge Kanye from using a gimmick and running with it to make money.  It's up to the consumer to voice her/his opinion by not buying.  So far, it seems that Kanye, like many personalities out there, can get away with insulting folks and demaing methods while people just eat it up and ask for more.