Honored Contributor

Worst dressed at the Golden Globes

Anne Hathaway

For a while, Anne Hathaway was the most unfairly-maligned actress in Hollywood, and the Hathaway hate finally seemed to subside in 2018, partially thanks to her fashionable turn in "Ocean's 8." Unfortunately, her impeccable looks from the film were nowhere to be found on the Globes carpet, with Hathaway opting instead for a misguided Elie Saab leopard travesty. 

Anne Hathaway

Anne Hathaway (Photo: Dan MacMedan/USA TODAY NETWORK)

More: Best dressed Golden Globes 2019: Kristen Bell, Nicole Kidman and more stars stun

Kate Mara
Kate Mara

Kate Mara (Photo: Dan MacMedan/USA TODAY NETWORK)

From her oddly-attached infinity ponytail to her unflattering babydoll silhouette, Mara's Moschino look more closely resembled an alien-esque nightgown.

Marin Hinkle
Marin Hinkle

Marin Hinkle (Photo: Dan MacMedan-USA TODAY NETWORK)

Looking a little too much like the Grinch went to prom, the "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" actress made an interesting choice with her Lanvin gown's black-green ombre.

Julianne Moore
Julianne Moore

Julianne Moore (Photo: Dan MacMedan/USA TODAY NETWORK)

Moore is a perennial Hollywood favorite, but the top and bottom of her Givenchy gown seemed unflatteringly fused together Frankenstein-style. 

Debra Messing
Debra Messing

Debra Messing (Photo: Dan MacMedan/USA TODAY NETWORK)

With a little tailoring, perhaps the "Will and Grace" star's Pamella Roland dress could've been a winner. In reality, her look just resembled a sparkled, feathered, black-tie muumuu. 

Darren Criss

The normally dapper Criss unfortunately opted for a Dior suit jacket that gave us major Ikea-bedspread vibes.

Darren Criss

Darren Criss (Photo: Dan MacMedan/USA TODAY NETWORK)

Rosamund Pike
Rosamund Pike

Rosamund Pike (Photo: Dan MacMedan-USA TODAY NETWORK)

It's not Pike's inky Givenchy gown that gave us red-carpet agita, but rather the sparkly jacket awkwardly perched on her shoulders. 

Amber Heard
Amber Heard

Amber Heard (Photo: Dan MacMedan/USA TODAY NETWORK)

Similarly, we enjoyed the combination of Amber Heard's black sweetheart-neckline gown, red lipstick and loose curls with the "Aquaman" actress seemingly channeling Bad Sandy from "Grease" – until her Monique Lhuillier gown went south below the waist with its bedsheet-resembling skirt.

Caitriona Balfe
Caitriona Balfe

Caitriona Balfe (Photo: Dan MacMedan-USA TODAY NETWORK)

The poofy skirt and girlish details of Balfe's Moschino velvet dress didn't do the "Outlander" actress any fashion favors Sunday night. 

Sofia Carson
Sofia Carson

Sofia Carson (Photo: Dan MacMedan-USA TODAY NETWORK)

The ruffles, the tiers, the sparkling gridded overlay – pick two, Sofia! But the jumbled combination of all the accouterments on Carson's Giambattista Valli gown landed her on our worst-dressed list. 

Lucy Liu
Lucy Liu

Lucy Liu (Photo: Dan MacMedan/USA TODAY NETWORK)

Liu is undeniably a national treasure, but her nude-colored Galia Lahav gown with its neon splashes of color had the unintended effect of vaguely resembling a skin disease. 

facebook sharetwitter shareemail shareemail share

Honored Contributor

Re: Worst dressed at the Golden Globes

There's several more that should have been included in this list.

Honored Contributor

There really are some awful "fashions" here.

I wish the expose all-just up to not wearing anything look, would go away especially all the weird angles that aren't flattering-the flat part of the chest bone thing that looks like some sort of strange beige coverup.

I just don't get why any think it is flattering or attractive.

It's like oh I'd better fit in and be the most daring or be included in the most daring and like this is ok and no body better say anything about it! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

There's several more that should have been included in this list.

Not impressed with too many last night.  I didn't watch but have been checking online. 

Not impressed at all. 

Honored Contributor

There's no accounting for taste but some of the dresses are truly awful - like the nightgown, the feathered muumuu, and the skin disease.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to put this out there because I think this dress is a bit trashy looking. Not what I would expect to see on Swift for an event like The Globes. Better for a music awards show like maybe MTV.

taylor-swift-golden-globes-2019-0.jpg

Respected Contributor

I can't say that I thought anyone looked that good.  Very underwhelmed.  What happened to the "good old day's" when Hollywood represented glam?

Honored Contributor

There wasn't one dress that wowed me or that I wanted to own.  I do not like the trend of wearing a lowwide cut bodice when all you see is a bony rib cage or a shear top with just enough coverage not to get you arrested. There is nothing elegant about that look.

I wasn't impressed with the hair either.  Slicked down stringy flat hair is not for a formal look. Gone are the days of beautiful shiny bouncy hair or a nice classic updo.

Where was the beautiful jewelry?  I thought the fashions were very underwhelming.

Trusted Contributor

These are the ugliest gowns I've ever seen.  The leopard one makes Hathaway look fat!  The chests that are exposed are not attractive.  These people have no taste or class.

Honored Contributor

I don't get why celebs make missteps in what they wear. Probably most of them have stylists who help them and the A- listers must get designers calling them wanting to dress them for these events. They aren't like us, shopping for an outfit off the rack at Macys! I wonder if the celebs veto the stylist's choices or the stylist just gets it wrong?