Honored Contributor

Working for a famous fashion designer . . .

. . . In NYC.  My granddaughter was (is) thrilled to have this job for about six months now. My daughter (her mother) was here yesterday and we talked a little about what it’s like to work for a famous designer.

First of all, she has never seen him.  Her job is to work with others to find design formats, make changes to them, put them on and adjust them to fit models for sizing, and then, after approval of higher ups, send them off to various countries like Bangladesh and China, who sew them and send them back for approval for mass production “ready-to-wear” clothing. If approved they then get sent to the various merchandisers for distribution.

It’s very hard and stressful work. She is considered second tier on three levels of the design team.  They have offered her further schooling at their expense to get to the top level.  She is going to take it.

Another thing I learned.  The famous designers don’t do the designing on anything but the fashions on the runway shows. That didn’t really surprise me.  That probably includes Isaac.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: Working for a famous fashion designer . . .

[ Edited ]

I watched a few episodes of a series on Netflix called "7 Days Out" which covers seven days leading up to different events.  One was the Westminster Dog Show, and another was a fashion designer's runway show (I want to say I remember it being Karl Lagerfeld but I could be totally remembering wrong - I was watching while doing other things).  It was quite fascinating to see all that goes into a runway show for one of the major fashion houses.  The best of luck to your granddaughter.  That's one way to get started, and eventually make a name for yourself and get your own line. 

P.S., I looked it up and it was actually the Chanel runway show that the docuseries focused on.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Isaac Mizrahi and have numerous items of his (clothes only).  When he is presenting, he seems like he knows his line well, like he designed it all.  But once in awhile he will say something that makes me think otherwise.

I really wonder how much involvement the designers have.

For Bob Mackie, QVC will occassionaly show his drawings of the item being presented.   And he talks about how the pieces came about.  So I think he is designing all his clothing.  But who knows.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Congrats to your GD.  What a wonderful & exciting job she has.  And to top it off she loves it!

Next stop PARIS!!!!!! Smiley Wink

I have always known the "background" folks do all the grunt work & the "designers" get/take ALL the credit when it comes to "their" designes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Congrats to your GD.  What a wonderful & exciting job she has.  And to top it off she loves it!

Next stop PARIS!!!!!! Smiley Wink

I have always known the "background" folks do all the grunt work & the "designers" get/take ALL the credit when it comes to "their" designes.

Not so different from many industries/professions!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree  fashion designers have always used teams to create the mass market lines that bear their names.  This would be the clothing sold under the designers name, but sold at the mass market price points an average person around the world can afford.  It's called licensed brands.  Nothing wrong with this as these are the clothes most of use are wearing. You are correct that it is only the few pieces in the twice a year haute couture runway fashions which the designer creates and sees through to the final production. 

That said your granddaughter is in a wonderful position as she is learning the fashion business and whether se has aspirations to do her own line one day, the experience she's gaining now could serve her in climbing the corporate ladder in the creative department for one of the major fashion brands or fashion specialty stores.  

Honored Contributor

It's interesting to hear something about the procedure used to produce clothing for the mass market.  I've wondered about it so often but little is ever said or written about it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Trix 

It’s my granddaughter and she’s working for Tommy Hilfiger.  She already has two years at design school.  She  has 

wanted this for a long time, but had to move to NYC to have any chance of working at a real design shop.  She loves it, but it’s very hard work.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Great news @LilacTree 

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree  Not at all surprised your granddaughter has never met him! Unless she designs for red carpet events, she probably never will. Sounds like a great job which may turn into an amazing career! Glad she's going to continue with the offered education. That's a wonderful opportunity. Never know when another design house will notice her talents. Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.