Honored Contributor

Re: Working for a famous fashion designer . . .

Your grandaughter was lucky to get such a job.  I imagine they're highly competitive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Your grandaughter was lucky to get such a job.  I imagine they're highly competitive.

@Kachina624 

She has loved it since she was a little girl and made her own paper dolls.  She has paid her dues, four years of regular college, then two years of design for which she got her certificate, and now another year to complete her education.  

With her natural talent, she entered into this job at the second tier designer level, so I guess they have seen her potential and that’s why they are sending her to school at no cost to her.  Yes, I am proud of her, she has worked very hard. Bad part is I don’t get to see her much anymore.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I like Isaac Mizrahi and have numerous items of his (clothes only).  When he is presenting, he seems like he knows his line well, like he designed it all.  But once in awhile he will say something that makes me think otherwise.

I really wonder how much involvement the designers have.

For Bob Mackie, QVC will occassionaly show his drawings of the item being presented.   And he talks about how the pieces came about.  So I think he is designing all his clothing.  But who knows.

@Puppy Lips 

It's funny you should mention this (bolded above) ... however, my impression  is he looks like he's seeing the item being presented for the very first time.  In fact, he seems genuinely surprised at some of them.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree Congratulations to your granddaughter, Tommy has some cute clothes. I own a few.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I watched a few episodes of a series on Netflix called "7 Days Out" which covers seven days leading up to different events.  One was the Westminster Dog Show, and another was a fashion designer's runway show (I want to say I remember it being Karl Lagerfeld but I could be totally remembering wrong - I was watching while doing other things).  It was quite fascinating to see all that goes into a runway show for one of the major fashion houses.  The best of luck to your granddaughter.  That's one way to get started, and eventually make a name for yourself and get your own line. 

P.S., I looked it up and it was actually the Chanel runway show that the docuseries focused on.

You we're correct in what you remembered.  Chanel is (was) Lagerfeld.  Not being snide. Just didn't know if you were aware of that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree 

Congratulations to your granddaughter for living her dream.

Next stop:  Project Runway!

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree I hope your granddaughter loves her job.  I think it is very tough, tough culture, but I must admit to being jealous!  Wish her the best.

i think different designers play different roles in their lines, even the Q ones.  I do think Bob Mackie is more involved, and Dell Olllio.  Isaac has never claimed to design any of the Q clothes.  I don’t think he likes designing much, and this is known.  When he joined the Q all he said is how much he loved to style, and he styles the models.  I am sure he has some say on the what goes on the line, but this is a name licensing deal.  He joined the Q, I think, because he had licensed his name to Luz Claiborne, and then Liz Claiborne came to the Q.  I think Liz Claiborne went out of business but he stayed.  I am going by my recollection on this, so I may phave something wrong.  But no, he doesn’t design his Q line.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree This sounds like a wonderful job.  Good thing she is taking the extra schooling.  Who knows one day she may be a famous designer.

kindness is strength