Respected Contributor

Re: Wool - and part wool -sweaters

i have several cashmere sweaters and i understand moths love them.  i haven't had any problem and i don't store them specially from my other sweaters.  knock on wood!

Valued Contributor

@Bird mama: When a boy moth and girl moth love each other very much.......you know....Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@sallybusky

LOL - seriously, I don't often have a moth in my house so for the life of me I don't know how the wool eating ones get in the house in the first place.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

It has been my painful experience that the softer the wool, the yummier to critters.

I double bag good wool in plastic storage bags. 

DH has sacrificed several good sport jackets too.

No wool is really safe.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I have a couple of sweaters that have a touch of wool in them and I've never stored them in a special way. 

I've always wondered - where do the moths come from?  

Moths, like butterflies come from a larvae, then pupa then adulthood.  They don't live very long (shorter if I can get my hands on them).... and the ones we have here are called "Millers" and have a 2" wingspan... really hate them!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u

Thanks for explaining that.  Every once in a while a moth will fly into the attached garage - attracted to the light colored walls and light fixture.  I rarely, if ever get a moth in the house.

Of course, now that I've 'said' it out loud, I will probably be swarmed when it warms up.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Q4u

Thanks for explaining that.  Every once in a while a moth will fly into the attached garage - attracted to the light colored walls and light fixture.  I rarely, if ever get a moth in the house.

Of course, now that I've 'said' it out loud, I will probably be swarmed when it warms up.

I hope you're never swarmed with them!  Coming from California where I also hated moths when we had them..... the moths here are  big and burly enough that they could carry off the dog if they wanted to.....  j/k of course, but I've never experienced anything like them before.....  and each spring I'm hunkered down in the bunker waiting for them.... Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Q4u

My sister owns a home near the 'tip of the mit' of Michigan and the home is in the woods.  She's mentioned that she's seen moths that remind her of Mothra, you know, the thing that fought with Godzilla. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Q4u

My sister owns a home near the 'tip of the mit' of Michigan and the home is in the woods.  She's mentioned that she's seen moths that remind her of Mothra, you know, the thing that fought with Godzilla. 

How funny~!~!  Yes, when you can see the expression on their faces.... RUN~!

Valued Contributor

I love wool! I live in WI and this year instead of running space heaters all the time (I work at home) I raided all the thrit stores around here and bought wool. I'm as warm as toast. I never wear the wool against my body. Have a turtle neck or something on first. i store them mostly in dresser doors with plenty cedar blocks and shavings and so far no moth damage.

I wish QVC would offer more wool garments but they do like their acyrilic and polyester! Cheap to produce and they can sell at a low price. I'd rather pay more for wool and have a qualify garment than all the cheap fabric in the world. As an aside, I heard Jill Bauer today say about somehing "There's not a stitch of wool in this girls" as if it was a good thing. It was a poncho type thing that was acyrlic. Yuck. And acyrlic and polyester really promote static cling.