Honored Contributor

Re: Wonder Why Nothing Fits That You Buy online?

@chrystaltree @I have a terrible time with online fits.I buy using measurements but everything seems to be too big.I guess I am a between size person and should size down but that makes me worry it will be too tight.I usually have to return most clothing items so I have given up.I hope that there will always be some brick and mortar stores or I will be wearing what I have forever.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden @dex @tototwo @chrystaltree @songbird 

I purchased an item three times from Macy's!

It is a hooded anorak rain jacket.

First time, khaki in PXL and too big OR SOMETHING... not flattering. And waistline was way too short.

So next, XL regular... looked awful... but I thought maybe a regular size L might look nice.

They mistakenly sent another regular XL

Guess what! A completely different fit...details on the front were higher and the shoulders were much more "shaped" and seams hit at the right place.

I guess it pays to either order three of everything or not at all!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have a problem ordering clothing and shoes.  I can try on 3 pairs of jeans the exact same size, same brand and all three fit differently. 

I have shoes in three different sizes in my closet.

Makes it difficult to shop online.  

@Sunshine Kate 

Absolutely! I have to go to a B&M store to try on. I have several different manufacturers sizes in clothing and shoes/boots in my closet so online shopping does not work for me. I despise (but will) pack up and return so I need to be certain. 

I do understand not everyone has the luxury of (or limited) b&m shopping options.

Shoes and boots now, I'm either 7.5 or 8M depending on mfr. That was never the case ten years ago and beyond.

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@dex 

If you don't trust the size charts and you choose to go down a size.  That's why can't get a good fit.  When it comes to online shopping, you have to use and trust the size charts.  If the chart says you wear a size 8, nothing good will happen if you decide to buy a size 10 or a size 6.  Online shopping just isn't for you.  Just like brick&mortar shopping isn't for me.     

Honored Contributor

Most problems are my fault, due to weight fluctuations.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@dex 

If you don't trust the size charts and you choose to go down a size.  That's why can't get a good fit.  When it comes to online shopping, you have to use and trust the size charts.  If the chart says you wear a size 8, nothing good will happen if you decide to buy a size 10 or a size 6.  Online shopping just isn't for you.  Just like brick&mortar shopping isn't for me.     

The size charts say I need a six but when I buy he six it is usually too big.I buy a four in stores most often but not always...there is the problem.I have a difficult figure to fit I guess.No butt and a bit of a stomach..honestly I think my stomach may be my largest body mass.Lol

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can't relate to that.  I am 16/18 and  I buy most of my clothing online and I rarely have any size or fit problems.  In fact, I shop online because I can get a good fit and because I have access to world of fashion that is in my size.  I know how to use a tape measure, I know my exact measurements, I know what works for my body, I know how to use the size charts that online retailers provide and I understand that there are no standard sizes in women's clothing.  I might wear a size 16 with one retailer but I can't just assume that I wear a 16 with every retailer.  Also, my ego is not tied to my dress size.  If I am shopping online and using my measurements, I get  size 20.  I buy the size 20.  I don't care what the size tag says, I care about how the garment fits.   

@chrystaltree 

You hit on an important factor in size selection...ego definitely plays into it..

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Everything fits me.  I have never any trouble getting in to any jean.  Tops, skirts, dresses.....no problem!  I buy online, my size and it fits.   It helps that I'm not curvy and I'm  thin.  

@songbird 

I can assure you that 'not curvy and thin' has no bearing on your ability to select the right size.

Honored Contributor

I had this problem with a Vince Camuto sweater, from Macy’s site, I bought one last year in blue, in a Small. I liked the style so much, when l saw them offering it again this year in different colors, l ordered the same one in the same size, in red. When it arrived it was TWO sizes too small! I reordered it in a Large, which is never my size. It’s the same width as last year’s Small, but 2 inches shorter! And VC is not a cheap brand. I think it’s the Made in China situation that is causing all this inconsistency.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Everything fits me.  I have never any trouble getting in to any jean.  Tops, skirts, dresses.....no problem!  I buy online, my size and it fits.   It helps that I'm not curvy and I'm  thin.  

@songbird 

I can assure you that 'not curvy and thin' has no bearing on your ability to select the right size.

Sure it does.  Everyone's body fits differently, even in the same size.  It might be your size, but you won't like the way your bust line is, the way your bum looks. You could weigh very little with a unusually large bust  size.  It's going to affect the way the top fits you. You still might be a size 2 but a large bust will put you out of the size. You would have to size up.  Models are thin, not curvy.  They can be tall, but instead being usually large busted and hippy that goes with height...., they are small breasted and skinny hips.  Small bum. They have to be one size fits all.  I'm a true size 2.  Pretty much all dresses fits me.  I'm not short or long waisted.  My legs arms  and legs etc are in proportion. I have a small bust size, narrow hips, small bum..  You could be a corn fed girl, and be 5'10.  Or you could be the same height and have a small frame.