Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wonder Why Nothing Fits That You Buy online?

It is not your fault!

Women's sizing is more disparate than ever before.   https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Style/womens-sizing-disparate-studies-show/story?id=67776050&cid=social_f...

Honored Contributor

Re: Wonder Why Nothing Fits That You Buy online?

Even with carefully checking the measurements, as well as the fitted/semi-fitted/relaxed description, I've still had a couple misses with sizing.   With the return charges, at this point, it's just beyond annoying.

Honored Contributor

I rarely have a fit issue.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I seldom buy from QVC (if that's your complaint), but the items I purchase elsewhere are true to size when checking with the measurements listed. Seldom have returns (if ever) been necessary to LL Bean, WoolOvers, Neiman Marcus, Overland, Birkenstock, etc.

I just purchased a 100% wool coat from Pendleton in December and was concerned about the fit of such an item. The sleeves are too long, but my tailor will take care of those. The coat is beyond my expectations. I've worn Pendleton outerwear for decades, but always purchased coats, jackets and capes from Dillard's. This was a first on-line purchase of a hip-length coat and may not be my last!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

i purchase the vast majority of my wardrobe items online and i rarely have issues. i know which companies and brands and styles tend to work for me. it helps avoid returns and return fees.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Most of my things fit just fine. At Q and H I use the garment measurements. At Talbot's I use the sizing chart ,and read the reviews. More of Talbot's things seem to run small, than run large. Sometimes I size up, when everyone complains about things being snug

I think some people are just harder to fit . They might fall in between 2 sizes or have a hard figure to fit properly. If I had that problem I would go to brick and mortar stores until I got used to their sizes.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I rarely have a fit issue.

@ALRATIBA.  Me too.  I always carefully check the garment measurements before ordering and rarely have to return anything.  I find sizing to be very consistant and rarely have to vary from my usual size.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Given the disparity in body mass between the hosts that all swear they are an extra extra small I tend to think the spandex addition to everything cures most sizing issues! But that's tops.

Pants and jeans are traditionally harder to fit although I personally don't have a problem

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fit issues which cause me to return online purchases is why I no longer buy clothes online. Especially in Canada returns cost money to ship back. And as a baby boomer, my body shape changed with menopause...who knew this was going to happen?

I can think of private label fashion lines owned by Macy's and while the fit is supposed to be the same, my experience buying both the INC International Concepts clothes and the Style & Co clothes, the INC runs a full size smaller than Style & Co. I'm an XL in Style & Co top and a 0X or 1X in INC International Concepts. Hudson's Bay sells these lines and doesn't bother to bring in the 0X size that Macy's has. In Style & Co jeans, I usually wear a 14 or 16 or a 14W. In INC International Concepts my various black ponte di roma skinny pants are a size 16.

The last INC International Concepts top in a 1X I bought online looked like other ones that I already owned and were bought in a bricks and mortar store, but it was riding up and fit shorter than my other tops. Why? Because the brand cheaped out and hemmed the front top and the front lining hems together instead of hemming them separately like they used to do, thus the top doesn't hang properly like it used to. I would have realized this had the top been sold in stores, but it was never in the Hudson's Bay store I visit.

Edited to add that I no longer buy shoes online either. I never get a good fit when I buy shoes online and have had to return them due to fit issues.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i purchase the vast majority of my wardrobe items online and i rarely have issues. i know which companies and brands and styles tend to work for me. it helps avoid returns and return fees.

Yes I stick with what I know.  I order One World because I know what size to get, this comes from trial and error.  Going by the charts can mess you up sometimes.  I  rarely try new vendors.  Kate and Mallory, OSO casual, and Indigo Thread I know what size to order.  Trying new vendors can be exhausting lol.  Oh, I have ordered Iman's maxi dresses hers seem to be true to size.  Good luck