Honored Contributor

Re: Winter coat - your deal breakers?

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

A deal breaker for me is sleeves that aren't long enough.  If the sleeves aren't long enough it ruins the look.  I love coats that have a cuff at the sleeve where I can adjust it.

Same here...I love a coat where you can cuff the sleeves.  However for me the reason is the opposite...they are often too long and come down to my fingertips.  So I usually need a petite sized coat.

Esteemed Contributor

No hood would be a deal breaker for me.  Next would be the length.  It has to be long enough to cover most of my leg down to my knees.  I'm outdoors a lot and need coverage, top and bottom.  

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Not having a 2-way zipper.  Even on expensive coats, it's unusual to have a 2-way zipper and it's an immediate "no sale" for me.

Just read the previous posts.  I guess I'm the only one that likes 2-way zippers-LOL!!

I love to two way zipper!  If the coat comes down mid thigh on me and I'm sitting in the car driving (which is how I get around), I don't want a tight confined feeling by not being able to unzip from the bottom for a few inches. 

I don't understand the reason for not liking one...even if you don't use the two way zipper, just keep it zipped from the bottom.  A quality zipper shouldn't open while sitting if you keep it closed.

Esteemed Contributor

Fur!!   Whether on the collar or around the hood.  If it has fur of any kind, I won't even look at it.

Big prints, plaid or check or any print.  I want a solid color in any coat, long or short.  No browns, beiges, or olives.  Only colors that flatter my complexion.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always wanted to live where it's cold enough to have what looks like man's long wool topcoat....think it's called a Chesterfield. A long black one would be too overwhelming and can't wer camel, so I guess a nice dark grey small herringbone would be perfect. Oh, BTW, I never button or zip my coats...no matter how cold it gets. Just like the casual look of them opened. Guess another "Shanus-ism".

Trusted Contributor

I don't like coats that have more than one closure, like both a zipper and snaps.  I don't like belts.  I don't like fleece linings, especially in coat sleeves.  I don't like coats that have both a hood and a collar.  The collar gets in the way.  Sometimes I sew them to the hood so they don't stick up. 

It's a good thing I already own a lot of winter coats.  The list makes shows how picky I am.

Honored Contributor

Deal breakers for me include fur and prints. Don’t want either. 

Valued Contributor

I hate coats period.Mostly wear hoodie.

Honored Contributor

No belt. Hate them.

No honking logos; particularly that obnoxious MK in a circle.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • Fur trimmed hood
  • Length lands at hip or above, I prefer coats 30" or longer
  • Not cut generously in the chest to allow wearing bulkier sweaters underneath
  • Sleeves that don't reach the wrist
  • Tight in the sleeves and shoulders