Honored Contributor

Re: Winter Clothes - Difficult for those of us who are warm

YES!!! I wear the same clothes I wear in the summer all year round other then Capri's & sandals. I don't wear boots, sweaters or long sleeve shirts. I don't even wear a heavier coat when it's cold. I wear a lightweight fleece jacket. People look at me like I'm crazy because they are all bundled up with scarfs, coats etc & sometimes I'm running around with short sleeve shirt when it's cold & no jacket. LOL!!!. I put our heater on 60° when we go to bed & generally no higher then 64° because it gets too hot in the house if you turn it up more. I can wear a sweatshirt around the house in the winter since I can control the heat but I won't wear it when I leave the house because every place I go it's too hot for me. It's 45° right now & I have on a pair of French terry pants, t-shirt & sandals. Of course I don't wear this when I leave the house.

Super Contributor

I agree...layers are the answer! You will not look like an idiot wearing layers of light weight clothing...especially if you wear colors in the winter that you would not wear in the summer (burgundy, forest green, charcoal gray, browns, deep plum, etc.).

You can find lightweight sweaters that will help you take on a "winter look." Most of us go through those "hot years," so I am sure your colleagues will understand. Good luck!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

I'm right there with you. I can't even think about wearing long sleeves unless it's 32or below let alone a sweater. Forget about layering unless I'm outside salting the driveway. I am always on the quest for cotton or natural fiber clothing but this is getting increasingly difficult to find. It is also difficult to find a garment that has some weight to the fabric. I don't want a heavy top/blouse but I don't want to have to wear two underpinnings just so my bra isn't seen. The thing that really gets me is that regardless what body temp you run the garments are just crazy in price. (most of the time) I prefer v necks on tops or a lower scoop neck---just some type of neck line that lets air pass over me. I need some exposed skin around my neck or arms or a tunic top that has slits. Movement in a garment is a plus.

This year I found a Sherpa vest from Denim & Co and a puffer (thin version) coat from Liz Claiborne that are a dream. They are season appropriate but thinner in weight with being flattering on the body. I have been looking for these two garments for years. They both were washable and budget friendly. The outerwear dilemma was an issue for me because once I got in a store I was too warm too fast and I got ill. A hooded sweater coat is actually what I should have been wearing but could never find that item that was washable and fit my budget.

Either way your temp runs it doesn't seem to be easy to find clothing or a method that works quick enough. I always feel like I'm on some sort of quest looking for lightweight items or cotton items. Honestly.....when did shopping get this difficult?

Super Contributor

I'm hot natured and I live where it is warm--not much of a winter season. If I start the day in a long sleeved top, I'm hot in the afternoon. I've found it's best to wear 3/4 sleeves with a light sweater or jacket over it.

My wardrobe is pretty much 4 seasons, and I am getting tired of it. But the options are a LOT of long sleeve things now. I completely understand why, and I am saving money. But this tired old wardrobe needs help.

Honored Contributor

I live in the South, plus I am warm by nature (hot blooded) LOL!

That's why I love 3/4 sleeves, plus I am short and long sleeves are always way too long on me!

I use to be a big fan of D&C clothing, but they are lining everything with Sherpa, fleece, etc., I don't see this type of clothing in stores, we all don't live at the North Pole and keep our heat on 65!!!

Trusted Contributor

Layers. Almost always a blouse or knit top with a cardi or blazer on top. I have a whole wardrobe of fine-gauge knit, sleeveless or short-sleeve mock turtlenecks and other knit tops for layering. I am usually warm-natured too, so I dress in layers and almost never wear a heavy coat unless I plan to be outdoors in the cold for a prolonged period. I hate to drag the thing around and usually leave a coat in the car in case of emergency. Usually I'm just walking a short distance from my car into a building, so I don't really need the coat anyway!

Honored Contributor

I live in the mountains and it can get very cold here. We have a lot of mid to late 20's and 30's here, in retain who wear a dark colored short or 3/4 sleeve top and dark slacks. Sometimes a dark light weight scarf. They really look nice. Also, big shirts (like Joan Rivers) and camis that don't have summery lace. That may work for you.

Super Contributor

On 12/6/2014 DeePa said:

I'm right there with you. I can't even think about wearing long sleeves unless it's 32or below let alone a sweater. Forget about layering unless I'm outside salting the driveway. I am always on the quest for cotton or natural fiber clothing but this is getting increasingly difficult to find. It is also difficult to find a garment that has some weight to the fabric. I don't want a heavy top/blouse but I don't want to have to wear two underpinnings just so my bra isn't seen. The thing that really gets me is that regardless what body temp you run the garments are just crazy in price. (most of the time) I prefer v necks on tops or a lower scoop neck---just some type of neck line that lets air pass over me. I need some exposed skin around my neck or arms or a tunic top that has slits. Movement in a garment is a plus.

This year I found a Sherpa vest from Denim & Co and a puffer (thin version) coat from Liz Claiborne that are a dream. They are season appropriate but thinner in weight with being flattering on the body. I have been looking for these two garments for years. They both were washable and budget friendly. The outerwear dilemma was an issue for me because once I got in a store I was too warm too fast and I got ill. A hooded sweater coat is actually what I should have been wearing but could never find that item that was washable and fit my budget.

Either way your temp runs it doesn't seem to be easy to find clothing or a method that works quick enough. I always feel like I'm on some sort of quest looking for lightweight items or cotton items. Honestly.....when did shopping get this difficult?

Natural fibers like organic cotton, Merino wool, linen, and silk don't seem to do anymore for me than mixed fibers. I know they are supposed to, but I keep cooler by wearing light layers of mixed fibers (maybe one cotton or linen item). I have several articles of clothing that are Coolmax. They really help. I can peel offer layers as I get warm. Of course, I'm not talking about wearing a 100% nylon jacket. I do have a problem with hyperhidrosis though, so that doesn't help the situation any. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

I live in a warm climate and our ""winter clothes"" is what we wear year-round.

Valued Contributor

I tend to run warm and I cannot stand a big bulky sweater. I need layers. When I see those huge, bulky infinity scarves I break out into a sweat. Even if I'm drawn to something's style, I will have to say NO to it if it's too warm. I would much rather be cold. It's all very personal of course!