Esteemed Contributor

Winner stores in Canada starting to re-open

Winners stores in Canada (part of the TJX corporation) are starting to re-open. The one nearest to me in B.C. re-opened today but was only open until 6 pm PDT. Tomorrow it will be open from 11 am to 8 pm. I didn't go into the store today because there was a long line waiting outside to get in. The store can only hold 60 people at a time. 

But I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Winner stores in Canada starting to re-open

[ Edited ]

So my experience with a Winners store  re-opening in the Vancouver, BC area of Canada was not a positive one. There have been really long lines to get into the store as there are only supposed to be 60 people (staff and customers) inside the store at a time. People have to line up outside where there is no shelter as there are no awnings or building overhangs. I tried going there 3 different times in the early afternoon - anywhere from noon to 2 pm and there were long lines outside -- at least 40 people minimum. The first two days there was no social distancing, people weren't 6 feet apart especially close to the store entrance.

Finally today at about 6 pm, I went to Winners and there wasn't a lineup so I decided to go inside wearing a face mask. The only difference in the store were places to stand when going through the checkout line but people were not social distancing. I think at the time I entered store, the staff was not counting the number of people in the store. It was crowded in the shoe and makeup section. I didn't stay long, I wanted to see if I could find an ipad case. But that area where they had phone cases near the front checkout was crowded with people waiting to pay for their stuff.

When I left the store at about 6:25 pm (the store was open until 7 pm) there were at least 45 people in the lineup to pay and I would guess at least 75-80 people in the store. If people didn't have a shopping cart, there was no social distancing at all.

None of the racks of clothes were moved to allow for that many people to stand in line to pay so that other customers could browse clothes nearby without standing close to those wanting to pay. The line to pay went to the back of the store too.

I don't know how long it would take the clerks to process all of those people but I think that from what I saw that the store is not taking social distancing seriously and because of that I won't be back anytime soon. Not only were there unacceptable lineups without social distancing but thte store was a mess - just like before the pandemic.

Honored Contributor

@TY @Thanks for your report..doesn't seem like a safe place to shop at this time.I think for the most part Canada has done a much better job of containing the virus.I hope they don't mess that up during the reopening.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

I've seen news reports of lots of people shopping inside T.J. Maxx stores and Marshalls stores in the U.S. -- for the stores that have re-opened before stores in Canada have but I sure was surprised that the Winners store (they look just like the inside of a T.J. Maxx or a Marshalls store since they are owned by the same corporate parent TJX) I visited just seemed so inept at setting up the store to enforce social distancing because IMO, there's no excuse for having that many people lining up to pay for their stuff while still letting people inside the store.

Winners needs a pandemic makeover or I won't be back and it's a shame because it's the one place I could find shoes to fit me.

Honored Contributor

@TY @Hope winners gets it together and finds a way to keep the shoppers and staff safer.I think they will get stocked up the way you like but it will take time.I think a lot of stores sold off their inventory online.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

I went to a different Winners/Homesense store this afternoon and the store was night and day different from the Winners store I went to last Sunday. The combined store had a long line outside but the people social distanced themselves and the store was a lot more efficient in moving people in and out of the store. The lineup to pay was a normal sized line but with social distancing in effect and the cashiers were quick to process the customer purchases.

The store was not overcrowded either. Alas there wasn't much in the way of beauty products and I could tell that the store hadn't gotten in any new inventory before they re-opened. I will definitely return to this store again as I felt that I had a successful shopping experience.

Honored Contributor

@TY I am happy to hear that your shopping experience was better this time.I think Canadians are generally more inclined to follow the rules if they are for the good of all.

I am hoping that the border will reopen soon and I can return to Canada to visit.It is  a strange feeling to be Canadian and yet not be able to come home to see family and friends.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

I am also glad that my experience at a different Winners/Homesense was better. I think that the bigger store size and the overall newness of the store makes it easier for managment to implement social distancing effectively.

I also feel for you not being able to cross the border. I also cannot cross over into the U.S. to visit my mom and sister in Washington state. My mom is elderly and had a fall in April and she is recovering from it -- first in an acute care facility and then at my sisters. My niece in the U.S. also had a baby and she is planning to visit my sister this summer and it doesn't look like my family will be able to visit them at all this summer.

Honored Contributor

@TY @I am in Washington state and my mom is on Vancouver island.My mom had a fall last year and the recovery was slow but it did happen.I hope your mom will recover as well as mine did.Thankfully your sister is here in Washington state to look out for your mom,

Are you Canadian?It is really hard not to be able to visit our families and no idea when that will change.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

Yes, I am a Canadian by choice. I am a dual citizen though.

The lockdowns have been terrible for both my mom’s and my mother in law’s health. The disruption of their normal daily routines has helped to cause a significant decline in their physical and mental well being.