Contributor

Will never understand shouting with glee about

[ Edited ]

Lamb leather. Taking a baby from its mother to make something for you to wear is a cruel 

practice. Wearing a baby or any skin to provide validation for your lifestyle is wrong and narcissistic.

Sometimes we need to think about ethics and how ethical treatment of non humans can help the world

Honored Contributor

Re: Will never understand shouting with glee about

Please understand that the leathers that are used in fashion, shoes, handbags, etc. are by-products from the meat industry.  These animals are NOT slaughtered for their skins (although there are exotic animals that unfortunately are)...  the animals you are speaking about are slaughtered for their meat.  Which humans eat.  The by-products from this slaughter are then sold to people who take the products to market for the manufacture of other items.

I'm not stating whether or not this is good or bad.  ONLY that if these animals are going to be slaughtered for their meat, isn't it better to respect the death of the animal by utilizing all components?  Throwing away their skins would be the ultimate lack of respect for the death of the animal.  

The only option we have is to boycott the purchase of these items, and perhaps EVEN the boycott the eating of meats?  But again, most humans eat meat and IMHO there will always be a market for meat for human consumption.  And if that's so.... utilizing the skins is far better and far more respectful than throwing them away.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u Thank you for your post.  Your post is much better than I could have said.

Trusted Contributor

@Q4u You have a valid point.  However, if everyone looked at the videos that show how the animals are slaughtered many would never eat meat again.  I understand that there will always be meat eaters, however, that does not mean the "product" needs to be treated which such cruelty.  I"ve seen the videos and they still give me nightmares.

Honored Contributor

You must understand that many videos are made of the meat industry that are sensationalized to garner sympathy for one point of view.  There may be 100 slaughterhouses operating humanely but they'll pick the one that isn't and may be in trouble and hold it up to be the norm.  Take what you see on the Internet with a grain of salt.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Animals feel pain and you are, quite literally consuming their pain when you choose to eat them.  The only reason any one would eat meat is because they are not aware of the farm factory practices.  The more you educate yourself, you will not choose the cruelty.  I understand that it is only the disconnect between reality and a plastic box of animals parts in your grocery store that allows for acceptance of such pain to sentient beings.  I agree, the journey is not for the faint of heart - only for those seeking truth and have come to the realization of the horrific nature of this industry and can no longer support this industry.  I have posted recommended films and books on this board before, but it will be to no avail until a person is willing to open their eyes.   I continue to respect everyone knowing that it is a matter of lack of knowledge that supports such cruel practices.  There is no humane way to slaughter an animal...

Frequent Contributor

@Hazel I'm actively reducing the amount of meat that I eat, and eating more fish and vegetables.  I have a Vitamix at home, so I end up drinking a smoothie as a meal subsitute for lunch.  I'll never be a vegetarian but at least I can take one/two steps in that direction.

I don't think the same way regarding leather products.  As many people have noted, leather is a by-product of the meat industry.  I won't ever buy anything that has real fur.  I do draw the line there.

Super Contributor

I agree with phoenixbrd I can't justify the slaughter of innocent animals when there are other options for me to eat and provide myself nutrition and vitamins we are in the 21st century in addition to the harmful additives that are injected into the meat that is sold to consumers why buy cruelty free make up or sell it then tout Lamb leather being so divine
Honored Contributor

Everything stated here is true, and I'm the biggest animal lover around.

The OP stated that taking a baby from its mother in order to skin it and wear the fur (implied) in order to strut around and have others admire your coat or whatever is cruel.  It is, no question, however unless human beings decide to no longer eat meat and slaughter these animals in order to have the meat for consumption.... this practice will continue and so will selling the by-products for other items.  I don't see that ever changing.

However, I think there have been humane inroads in the slaughtering of animals.  And this is probably a direct result of PETA and other organizations and individuals willing to eat other items (chicken, fish, etc.)  

I was trying to answer the OP in the most practical way I could .....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I read an article today where a vegan mother from Pennsylvania was feeding her 11 month old son nuts and berries.  Her estranged husband reported her because the poor boy was malnourished and covered with rashes and had developmental issues. He couldn't even use his hands. They took the baby from her and she was charged with child endangerment.

Also,

A 5th grade girl last year was excited about a party her family was having for a religious holiday.  She was allowed to be excused from school to participate.

When she returned to school the following day, I asked her how her party went.  She said it was the best day of her life and she was clearly beaming.  I asked why this day.  

She told me she and her father went to see a farmer to get a lamb for their feast.  She got to pick out the lamb and she also got to slaughter it by herself.  I didn't know what to say ( for the first time in my life). I was shocked, but knew that I better not dare say anything negative because religion was involved.

I don't agree with either the vegan mother or the family who allowed a child to kill an animal.

Sometimes all we can do is shake our heads.