Valued Contributor

I just received A342501 Denim & Co cotton ponte knit pants and am wondering if they will shrink.

The Fabric Content: 62% cotton/32% polyester/6% spandex
Care: machine wash, tumble dry

They fit perfectly except they are too long.  Before I take them to be hemmed I will launder them but want to know if I should put them in the dryer as the care tag reads.

This is the first ponte fabric garment I have purchased.

Honored Contributor

Re: Will cotton ponte shrink?

Modern fabrics with cotton are usually pre-shrunk.  Those with polyester especially are unlikely to shrink.  You're wise to launder them according to label instructions before hemming.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Usually with that much polyester I don’t worry about shrinking.  But certainly I would put them through the cycle twice before hemming.

Honored Contributor

I don't even bother with the labes.  I just about hang up my tops to dry.  No longer use the dryer for clothing.  They are damaging to clothes in general.  Cotton anything hangs up to dry.  Don't even question it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Most clothing shrink from the heat of the dryer (even on the lowest delictae and fluff settings).  It has been my experience that clothing which is hung to dry rarely shrinks -- even 100% cottons.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never heard of "cotton ponte." 

Ponte knit is usually defined as a combination of poly, rayon and spandex.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I never hear of "cotton ponte." 

Ponte knit is usually defined as a combination of poly, rayon and spandex.

@ALRATIBA Neither have I.!   Maybe a "new animal"?

Image result for make believe animal

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The worst offender toward any clothing is the dryer.  If you can avoid it, keep clothes from it.   The exception I found is anything Susan Graver.  The clothes themselves are indestructible.  40,0000  year from now, Liquid Knit will be around.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anything with any cotton in it will shrink---I NEVER dry anything with any amount of spandex in it; however I have been putting some in my dryer for a few minutes on a med or low heat, as I have that option with my new dryer,  to get rid of the lint on the dark stuff and just get some of the wetness out as when it hangs, I think it gets stretched out. I also use Joys hangers to dry stuff too--they are soft and don't leave that little hanger bump on your shoulders.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Anything with any cotton in it will shrink---I NEVER dry anything with any amount of spandex in it; however I have been putting some in my dryer for a few minutes on a med or low heat, as I have that option with my new dryer,  to get rid of the lint on the dark stuff and just get some of the wetness out as when it hangs, I think it gets stretched out. I also use Joys hangers to dry stuff too--they are soft and don't leave that little hanger bump on your shoulders.

I do the same.  I put all my tops I wear for a week on those hangers and hang them up on a rod over the bathroom.  In warm weather they dry within hours.  Susan Graver clothes go straight in to dryer.  They alsways come out perfectly.   Jeans never go in the dryer either.  I spend good money on premium jeans.  They get dry lying down on net frames I purchased.