Honored Contributor

Re: Wide leg culottes or cropped pants

I had a pair of gauchos in the 70s. Wore them with knee high boots and a sweater. I think some of the wide leg crop pants look cute if styled with a more fitted top, but I don’t think I will be wearing them myself. I am not a fan of wide leg full length pants either. I prefer a straight, slim, or subtle boot cut opening. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a couple pairs of wide leg cropped pants, that fit me to the ankle that I love. They are not overly wide ... like say the D & C beach pants (had those, they were not good on me).

I don't do shorts anymore except on vacation or in my own backyard. So wearing ankle/crop length pants, with an appropriate top for the pant, is a look I like on myself for spring/summer. I never felt like I looked right in the skinny pant and I'm on the slim side. It's just I have curves and runners legs w/ a bit of a knob on my knees that is accentuated w/ skinny jeans. I know, TMI. 

IMO, we all get told what to do too much ... wear what makes you feel good ladies. Wear whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I also had about 3 pairs of "gauchos" I wore a lot in the summer during the early 90's. Even though I'm petite, I looked good in them. Of course I was younger too! Mine were dressier and plain (no pattern) I usually wore them with a T-shirt, sandals, and a jean jacket with embroidery. I still have them, but haven't worn them in a while. Maybe this summer is the time. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I like variety in my wardrobe.  I'm sick of the whole skinny pants thing, I'm sick of seeing them, sick of wearing them.  I did add  couple of wide leg cropped pants last year;  khaki pair and  navy pair.  I wore them with fitted white tees and sandals. A denim jacket if it was cool.  I'll probably add a couple of pairs of wide leg summer pants; a solid and a print.  If I can find ones that aren't too wide or over the top.

Honored Contributor

You need to be tall with narrow hips to even have a chance to look good in culottes/gauchos, or wide-leg crops. And you need to wear heels with them.

Even then, it's not the most flattering style, IMO. So count me out.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Shhhhhhh @VancouverUSAgal  - don’t tell them that cause they think they look soooo good.

Esteemed Contributor

My "uniform" is long over skinny (a silhouette I've always preferred and ain't giving up any time soon), but I embraced the wide-legged crop a few summers ago and haven't looked back. 

For me, they have a summery, beachy vibe that I like.  They're cool and comfy in the heat if nothing else.  I don't like full length wide-legs at all...go figure.

To my eye, the problem with the TSV is that it's about an inch or so too short, but that's just me. 

Here are my white and my denim wide-legs...can't wait to wear them...

20190812_224013.jpeg

20190927_163625.jpeg

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

Shhhhhhh @VancouverUSAgal  - don’t tell them that cause they think they look soooo good.

@Spacrazy @VancouverUSAgal 

I'm sorry you can't pull it off but that doesn't mean the rest of us aren't successful at it

I am short but I'm far from dumpy!

162A1E26-9DA4-44E3-9E93-E5791AD9D175.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Throughout the years, I've very rarely worn wide leg pants.

I like the concept of them, as they are very comfortable.

I'm going to try wearing them again.  Mine are more casual. 

One being very small daisy print on a dark navy background.  

Others are black, and I'm not sure about the other colors.

Too lazy to drag myself upstairs to find out!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY 

They are a great alternative in hot weather! No cling, comfy on your legs and cooler than something fitted