Honored Contributor

Why used black on the pictures??

[ Edited ]

Something that always makes me scratch my head - when they take pictures to show an item for sale and it comes in multiple colors, why they chose to use black. A clothing item just looks like a large black blur - and would often be passsed right over, when one may stop and look at it if they could actually see details. I ordered a WIC lace top the other day and it is shown in black - when it is also available in other colors like silver that easily show the details of the top.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why used black on the pictures??

[ Edited ]

They probably don't use professional photographers with a Degree in Fine Art.......................(only guessing.....but common sense should tell them to use a color that shows the product detail.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

That IS a head-scratcher-- especially because the show hosts know to always show a garment in a light or bright color, so we can better see the details.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Also, why do you have to click on the item to see if it's available in other colors, you are so right, there are so many items I just blow through without even bothering.  I like HSN how they show other colors.patterns available for that item so if it at least interests you, you can click on the other options first without having to bring the entire item up.

Food for thought for the Q

Respected Contributor

ITA.  note to QVC : I totally forget about an item if I cannot make out the details. I am not a gambler that wants to waste probably $50. then sh&h $$s.

If it is an item I really want I try to find a video where they show some lighter colors, but sometimes cannot find one.

Honored Contributor

While I agree that this is a problem, QVC actually does a pretty good job of showing colors other than black. I just did a generic search for tops and almost NONE of them came up in black in the thumbnails.

There's another website I visit where they exclusively show all clothing in black and you need to select a color to see anything else. Their clothes often have beautiful embroidery and details and you can't see it at all unless you select an individual item, then choose a light color to view. I've written to them to tell them that they are doing themselves a disservice by only displaying black. And I've not purchased a single item from them because it's too much trouble.

Honored Contributor

My guess is that they show the color that has the largest quantity available .... more than once I've seen the color being shown sell out .....  and they have to focus on another color. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know but it drives me nuts.  I was looking at something last week and it popped up in black.  I clicked on another available color but when I went to enlarge the photo to see details, it reverted back to black.

It also drives me nuts when hosts put the black on the front of the rack during the presenations and then try and show details.  That's useless.   

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I don't know but it drives me nuts.  I was looking at something last week and it popped up in black.  I clicked on another available color but when I went to enlarge the photo to see details, it reverted back to black.

It also drives me nuts when hosts put the black on the front of the rack during the presenations and then try and show details.  That's useless.   

My perception (this is, of course, from the hosts and brands I see most regularly) is that they're pretty good about not doing this -- they often state that they're going to show us the detail on the XX color, because it will show up better.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you that HSN shows what other colors are available so you know right away if a jewelry item is offered in gold-tone in addition to silver, or if other colors are offered on clothing items. Black photos are useless and I've also passed on looking at an item because it just didn't look interesting enough to check out what other colors might be available.