Respected Contributor

Re: Why so many long sleeved tops?

@disneynut57 wrote:

It's summer why are there so many long sleeve tops out there.  Susan Graver's TSV, Kim Gravel seems to have so many.  What's up with that

There's a lot of long sleeves out there because we are buying them!

We don't all live in hot humid weather, or we're traveling to places like Europe that have very cool summer nights, or we'd like to layer when we go to the movies and restaurants. I bought two long sleeve TSV yesterday. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Amen.  I have the same question.  I don't buy the.  It's been hotter than hades in the Southwest. 

@Kachina624      We've broken the heat record 6 days in a row......It's already "the hottest season EVER."

@Desertdi    I know you got up to 118° this past week, so get out those long sleeves and dress like a Bedouin, as someone suggested.  Ha! 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I agree.....in the past two years or so they have shown alot of long sleeve clothing items spring into summer....i know because i wear 3/4 sleeves mainly....and have been surprised at the amount but this year i was blown away at  how many long sleeve items the Q is presenting by ALL the designers..........i would think it was fall/winter stock (which can be recognized at times with size availabilty).....but the COLORS for spring summer are in the long sleeve items

so they are producing them for women for the warmer months..................Not sure who is wearing them except for maybe being in AC or on a chilly night......but i am in

the Northeast and it is way too warm for long sleeves....

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Even thought it's hot and humid in NC, every where I go is highly air conditioned....including at home. I like long sleeves all year around. This time of year I have what J Crew calls "tissue tees...you can almost see through them since they're so lightweight and cotton. I push my tees    and shirts up to the elbow. 

Long sleeve cotton or linen shirts keep me from having to put sunscreen all over my arms. I wear them under sweaters in the winter. 

A lot of the sweats, Barefoot Dreams "weight" items...I agree. It makes me cringe thinking about wearing those or hooded sweatshirts. I have no idea what their buyers are thinking.

@Shanus   Don't depend on a tee to protect you from the sun.  We went to an air show when my son was young and I wore a yellow and white stripped tee.  That night when I got undressed, I had perfect pink and white stripes on my sunburned back. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

do you remember the popular Speedo one piece in the early 70s? Stars and stripes, red white and blue? Those made for some interesting tan/sunburn lines! Lol

My husband was just saying the other day he needed some long sleeved (woven) shirts. He drives all day for work and was complaining about the sun beating down on his arms and legs when he's driving...He does have some stand alone sleeves  that he purchased a while back but thinks the shirts will be more practical...

Bass Pro sells alot of the clothing with sun protection.

Valued Contributor

@Andreatoo  I just had my windows tinted.  I hope that helps keep my arms and legs from heating up while driving.

Honored Contributor

Years ago when we spent all vacations in very hot climates, I recall always wearing lightweight-ish long sleeved shirts/tops/etc.

Mainly to protect my arms from sunburn and skin damage.

Always in light colors or white, to reflect the sun's rays away from my arms.

It seemed to work, as I never ever had a sunburn.  

Always wore a large brimmed hat, too.

Sometimes walked around using an umbrella on very hot sun-piercing days.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I bought short sleeve tops yesterday. I make sure that they are a little longer on the sleeve. I had good luck at Kohl's.

Respected Contributor

I don't think there are any more than any other year, and I don't think they're "off season" merchandise. As I mentioned elsewhere, check other retailers -- they offer a variety of sleeve and pant lengths too, because people have different needs and wants.

Honored Contributor

Well---  everyone is getting ready for the fall---prob next month you will see legit fall clothing----drives me insane!! Have been having one H3ll of a time finding any crops or capris----finally got some from AMZ that were reasonably priced--I want 3/4 sleeved tops myself or elbow length ones---rarer than hens teeth----