Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why only 3/4 length sleeves?

I hate the 3/4 sleeve.....I have seen so many pretty tops on the Q...then I see the sleeve is 3/4 and I move on....seems so unfinished...as another said...saves the money by cutting off those inches on thousands of tops...well I don't buy them...just forces me to go to another cite for my long sleeve purchases....

Honored Contributor

I totally agree. I just posted "I hate 3/4 sleeves!" on my FB last night, coincidentally, after watching some QF. I do not buy 3/4 sleeves, pretty much ever. I think they "chop off" the arms and look very awkward and unattractive. If a clothing line sells 80% 3/4 sleeves, as QF appears to do (not just based on yesterday, but whenever I have seen a presentation), I end up not watching their presentations any more. ETA I don't mind them weather-wise or temperature-wise, I just find them ugly - not only on me but generally.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

Usually you can either roll up or push up long sleeves. You can not stretch 3/4 sleeves to make them longer. Many 3/4 sleeves are too short, too wide and look odd. I rarely buy 3/4 sleeves. And what is up with 3/4 sleeve sweaters and coats? My Mom had a 3/4 sleeve coat back in the 60's that she wore with long black leather gloves for dress but I do not see that style except on Mad Men.
Honored Contributor

I don't count percentages of styles offered, but I know I buy more than 90% of my tops with 3/4 sleeves. I have to shorten every long-sleeved top I buy which means I buy nothing long-sleeved with cuff details and most short sleeves hit my arm at an unflattering point for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Hate them and will not buy. Period.

I need at least 24 inches to look right in a long-sleeve style, so a 3/4 sleeve looks really out of scale on me.

Probably cut down on returns though as this generic length works for most?

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

For a long time, I didn't like the look of the 3/4 sleeves on the hosts or the models. I like sleeveless or long sleeves that come down over my wrist. I think the longer sleeve is more "graceful."

But - then I saw a top I liked and figured I could alter the sleeves myself. When I tried it on - I found that on my arms, 3/4 are more like a bracelet length. and as long as it's a snug sleeve - it looks nice.

So ... I'm a convert! Just goes to show you that just because it looks awful on hosts and models it CAN look good on you!

Honored Contributor

When ever I buy a top with 3/4 sleeves I find myself pushing them up all day long. Irritating. However so many women love 3/4 sleeves because they think it hides that they have upper arm waddle. What they don't seem to realize is that the sleeve just waddles right along with their arm so they are not hiding anything.

Honored Contributor

There are lots of differeent length sleeves. There are more 3/4 length sleeves because they will fit more women.

I'd love to buy more short sleeve tops but almost all of the ones I see are too skimpy for me. I almost never see elbow length sleeves.

Long sleeves are often too long for my arms. They are not what I need or want most of the year.

So my closet is filled with lots of 3/4 length sleeves.

Honored Contributor

On 8/3/2014 gardensla said:

Hate them and will not buy. Period.

I need at least 24 inches to look right in a long-sleeve style, so a 3/4 sleeve looks really out of scale on me.

Probably cut down on returns though as this generic length works for most?

And regular size tops with 3/4 length sleeves will be out of proportion on a petite lady with shorter arms.

Real quality sizing would offer petites/regular/talls in tops and adjust the sleeve length, body, length, seams, etc. of the garment.

3/4 length sleeves are longer on me than where they are meant to be but not full length.

Manufacturers figure most of us can "make do" when the sleeve is 3/4 length. I even hear hosts talking about how the fit of different clothes (esp. pants) will work on shorter/taller ladies. The suggestions they make horrify me. lol...

Honored Contributor

QVC doesn't offer only 3/4 sleeves. It is one of the few things many can wear regardless of what part of the country they live in...I have very short arms so the 3/4 sleeve is a long-sleeve on me.... Amazing so many have such a hateful, vehement response to someone mentioning 3/4 sleeves!